all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xemacs shell not flushing (on windows) when I get input from other programs (such as perl)
@ 2007-08-21 18:49 sandra_oconnor2
From: sandra_oconnor2 @ 2007-08-21 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone know how I get through this problem?  The gist of the
matter is that when I run programs in the xemacs shell, nothing seems
to be printed until the program completes.

For example, when I run the
following simple program that takes an input and print it, it runs as
expected in the shell command window, but when I run in the emacs
shell, it doesn't print anything (except what I type) until the
program is finished.  Running on windows,  xemacs 21.4 patch 13.  Any
help would be
appreciated.  Thanks.

temp.pl
#!/usr/bin/perl
print "How old are you?\n";
$age = <>;
print "WOW! You are $age years old!\n";

Run inside emacs shell,  the >> indicates what I type

>>perl temp.pl
>>10    <------   waiting for input, hasn't printed 'how old are you' yet
How old are you?    <------- prints the lot, including what should
appear before the input was given
WOW! You are 10  years old!

* Re: xemacs shell not flushing (on windows) when I get input from other programs (such as perl)
@ 2007-08-21 18:54 ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-21 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sandra_oconnor2@yahoo.com writes:

[...]

> temp.pl
> #!/usr/bin/perl
> print "How old are you?\n";
> $age = <>;
> print "WOW! You are $age years old!\n";
>

> Run inside emacs shell,  the >> indicates what I type
>
>>>perl temp.pl
>>>10    <------   waiting for input, hasn't printed 'how old are you' yet
> How old are you?    <------- prints the lot, including what should
> appear before the input was given
> WOW! You are 10  years old!

The first step is to tell us what you mean by "xemacs."  If you mean
XEmacs (aka Lucid Emacs), then people on comp.emacs.xemacs will be
much better able to help you.  If you mean Emacs with a GUI, then ...

Is there a reason you want it to echo in "real time?"  If you wait for
the output, you've still got the output, and you can browse backward
through it.

What is it exactly that you want to see happening?

Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

* Re: xemacs shell not flushing (on windows) when I get input from other programs (such as perl)
@ 2007-08-22 16:54   ` sandra_oconnor2
From: sandra_oconnor2 @ 2007-08-22 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joel, I mean Xemacs, aka Lucid Emacs.  I've tried getting help on
comp.emacs.xemacs but haven't been successful.  That group gets less
traffic than this one.

>> What is it exactly that you want to see happening?

The program I showed above is just a simple example so that anyone can
reproduce it.  What I want to be able to do is,  starting from the
xemacs shell, have an interactive command-line session with something
that is not the shell itself.  For example, I want to go into the perl
debugger,  or the python debugger.  But this particular issue makes it
impossible;  once I go into another program (such as the perl
debugger) it stops automatic flushing before my inputs.  Consequently
I'll see nothing in a debugging session -- except my own inputs!!
(Until the end of the debugging session.)  No good.

Any ideas anyone.

* Re: xemacs shell not flushing (on windows) when I get input from other programs (such as perl)
@ 2007-08-22 17:28     ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-22 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

sandra_oconnor2@yahoo.com writes:

> Joel, I mean Xemacs, aka Lucid Emacs.  I've tried getting help on
> comp.emacs.xemacs but haven't been successful.  That group gets less
> traffic than this one.

That should probably tell you something ;)  Perhaps you should switch
to GNU Emacs; I know there's more involved than just wanting to do
it.  Support for GNU Emacs (as you're experiencing) is all-around
better and Emacs lisp packages are generally designed for Emacs unless
otherwise specified; in my experience most of the packages for XEmacs
were quite out of date.

>>> What is it exactly that you want to see happening?

[...]

> Any ideas anyone.

I have a few ideas:
Perhaps the Windows implementations of these debuggers and
interpreters doesn't cooperate well with Emacs.  I came to expect this
when I was using Emacs and there are good design rationale differences
(Windows is *not* Unix).

My other idea is that what you want is a customized comint[1] mode (a
major mode) for these debuggers and interpreters; also, if available
try M-x ansi-term, in which you can run any interactive environment.

Does anyone know of a Python or Perl Debugger mode?  If nobody does,
you could be the one to write it.

Joel

Footnotes:
[1] Co-mint mode is like Double-mint, except with sage and wintergreen
instead of mint.  Actually it stands for "command interpreter."

--

@ 2007-08-22 17:30       ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-22 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

[...]

> Perhaps the Windows implementations of these debuggers and
> interpreters doesn't cooperate well with Emacs.  I came to expect this
> when I was using Emacs and there are good design rationale differences
> (Windows is *not* Unix).

Edit: when I was XEmacs on Windows.

Joel

--

@ 2007-08-22 17:33         ` Joel J. Adamson
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2007-08-22 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

[...]

> Edit: when I was XEmacs on Windows.

Edit: Edit: when I was using XEmacs on Windows.

f u cn rd ts u r lsng ctl f ur vwls

Joel