all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region
@ 2008-02-11 15:53 Ulrich Scholz
       [not found] ` <mailman.7339.1202834226.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2008-02-11 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

after starting my Emacs 22 with --no-site-file ispell fails with the
following error:

  Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region

The same error occurs when starting Emacs without the --no-site-file
option.

ispell itself seems to be loaded:

(source)...done
  Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region

Ispell also works on the command line.

What to do?

Thanks, Ulrich

This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)
 of 2007-12-15 on noname, modified by Debian

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region
@ 2008-02-12 16:37 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.7339.1202834226.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.02.2008 um 16:53 schrieb Ulrich Scholz:

> after starting my Emacs 22 with --no-site-file ispell fails with the
> following error:

[...]

> What to do?

Adding a

	(require 'ispell)

into your init file? It won't get loaded twice.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
None.
They just redefine "dark" as the new standard.

@ 2008-02-12 17:00   ` Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2008-02-12 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks for your answer.

> Adding a
>
>         (require 'ispell)
>
> into your init file? It won't get loaded twice.

requiring ispell yields the same error as discribed in my post

  Error while loading 50dictionaries-common

Ulrich

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region
@ 2008-02-12 23:11     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-12 23:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.02.2008 um 18:00 schrieb Ulrich Scholz:

>> Adding a
>>
>>         (require 'ispell)
>>
>> into your init file? It won't get loaded twice.
>
> requiring ispell yields the same error as discribed in my post
>
>   Error while loading 50dictionaries-common

Sorry, I misunderstood your description! Reading it again, it might
help then to add the line to 50dictionaries-common.el, quite early.
Obviously this file does use some ispell function before everything's
prepared. Another thing might need to be prepared, i.e. set: ispell-
program-name. At some time its value was changed from ispell to
aspell – could be this triggers the error. You can check that
variable's value. And you can also check which dictionaries for
aspell and ispell are available.

BTW, what is debian support doing? Obviously debian is the culprit
making GNU Emacs load files that don't come with GNU Emacs.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
				– Rich Cook

* Re: Autoloading failed to define function ispell-region
@ 2008-02-13  6:50       ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-13  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Ulrich Scholz, help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.02.2008 um 18:00 schrieb Ulrich Scholz:
>
>>> Adding a
>>>
>>>         (require 'ispell)
>>>
>>> into your init file? It won't get loaded twice.
>>
>> requiring ispell yields the same error as discribed in my post
>>
>>   Error while loading 50dictionaries-common

Can you check also, if you have differents versions of emacs installed (or been
installed) if /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp or /usr/share/emacs-snapshot/site-lisp
exist and contain dictionaries-common with all it's files.
If not, you will have to uninstall/reinstall one version of emacs or create a
symlink from the valid site-lisp to the other.

> Sorry, I misunderstood your description! Reading it again, it might
> help then to add the line to 50dictionaries-common.el, quite early.
> Obviously this file does use some ispell function before everything's
> prepared. Another thing might need to be prepared, i.e. set: ispell-
> program-name. At some time its value was changed from ispell to aspell
> – could be this triggers the error. You can check that  variable's
> value. And you can also check which dictionaries for  aspell and
> ispell are available.
>
> BTW, what is debian support doing? Obviously debian is the culprit
> making GNU Emacs load files that don't come with GNU Emacs.

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu