all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus as mail agent - sort question
@ 2008-03-21 17:44 Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-03-21 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hallo group members.

I have thread view in my gnus summary.

How to tell gnus to put whole thread to the bottom of summary buffer
when new message arrives and it matches some thread.

Regards,
Michal

* Re: gnus as mail agent - sort question
@ 2008-03-21 17:54 ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-21 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Michal wrote:

> I have thread view in my gnus summary.
>
> How to tell gnus to put whole thread to the bottom of summary buffer
> when new message arrives and it matches some thread.

Sorry, I can't parse this.  Anyone?  Maybe you can explain it more
clearly.

BTW, for Gnus questions gnu.emacs.gnus (aka info-gnus-english@gnu.org;
gmane.emacs.gnus.user on Gmane.org) is more suitable.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus as mail agent - sort question
@ 2008-03-21 22:52   ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-03-21 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:54:30 +0100, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Michal wrote:
>> I have thread view in my gnus summary.
>>
>> How to tell gnus to put whole thread to the bottom of summary buffer
>> when new message arrives and it matches some thread.
>
> Sorry, I can't parse this.  Anyone?  Maybe you can explain it more
> clearly.

Hi Reiner,

I am not 100% sure either, but I think Michal means that he wants all
threads to be pushed down to the bottom of the thread list when they get
new `unseen' messages added to their tree view.

This way, if there are two threads in the summary of a group like these
two recent threads of comp.unix.solaris:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| . 2008-03-20 [  40: Wolfgang            ] overcommit Memory on Solaris
| .+2008-03-20     [  63: Casper H.S. Dik     ] Re: overcommit Memory on Solaris
| . 2008-03-20 [  11: Wolfgang            ] ldoms on zfs Volumes
| . 2008-03-20     [  15: kangcool            ] Re: ldoms on zfs Volumes

`-----------------------------------------------------------------------

and a new post arrives for the `overcommit' thread, the threads should
be slightly rearranged to look like this:

,-----------------------------------------------------------------------

| . 2008-03-20 [  11: Wolfgang            ] ldoms on zfs Volumes
| . 2008-03-20     [  15: kangcool            ] Re: ldoms on zfs Volumes
| . 2008-03-20 [  40: Wolfgang            ] overcommit Memory on Solaris
| .+2008-03-20     [  63: Casper H.S. Dik     ] Re: overcommit Memory on Solaris
| . 2008-03-21         [  18: Andrew Gabriel      ] Re: overcommit Memory on Solaris

`-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH,
Giorgos

PS: I've _very_ recently switched to Gnus for all my email needs.  Once
more.  There have been a couple of failed attempts in the past, but I
wasn't really familiar enough with Gnus and I was afraid of losing
massive amounts of email if I misconfigured it.

`THANK YOU!' to all the people who have worked to bring us Gnus :)

* Re: gnus as mail agent - sort question
@ 2008-03-22  9:18     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-22  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>>On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Michal wrote:
>>> I have thread view in my gnus summary.
>>>
>>> How to tell gnus to put whole thread to the bottom of summary buffer
>>> when new message arrives and it matches some thread.
[...]
> I am not 100% sure either, but I think Michal means that he wants all
> threads to be pushed down to the bottom of the thread list when they get
> new `unseen' messages added to their tree view.
[... examples elided ...]

Michal, try `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number' (or
`gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date'), see (info "(gnus)Sorting the
Summary Buffer"):

(setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
      '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number)))

Or via customize:

,----[ M-x customize-variable RET gnus-thread-sort-functions RET ]
| gnus-thread-sort-functions: [Hide Value]
| [INS] [DEL] Choice: [Value Menu] gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number
|             Sort threads such that the thread with the most recently
|             arrived article comes first.
|             Reverse order: [Toggle]  on (non-nil)
`----

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Not losing mail (was: gnus as mail agent - sort question)
@ 2008-03-22  9:20     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2008-03-22  9:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> PS: I've _very_ recently switched to Gnus for all my email needs.
> Once more.  There have been a couple of failed attempts in the past,

If anything in the documentation is unclear, please suggest
improvements or at least report it.

> but I wasn't really familiar enough with Gnus and I was afraid of
> losing massive amounts of email if I misconfigured it.

While it _is_ possible to mis-configure Gnus to lose mail, I think it
is quite hard to do it accidentally.  Those pitfalls (e.g. bogus split
or expiry setting) are documented with big fat warning, I think.
Additionally there are safety net mechanisms (see
e.g. `mail-source-delete-incoming' in (info "(gnus)Mail Source
Customization").

[BTW, as you use the bleeding edge CVS Emacs+Gnus, you live more
dangerous as users of released version, of course.]

> `THANK YOU!' to all the people who have worked to bring us Gnus :)

Thanks.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: gnus as mail agent - sort question
@ 2008-03-22 10:16       ` Michal
From: Michal @ 2008-03-22 10:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hallo Reiner and Giorgos

> Michal, try `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number' (or
> `gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-date'), see (info "(gnus)Sorting the
> Summary Buffer"):
>
> (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions
>       '((not gnus-thread-sort-by-most-recent-number)))

Yes, this is exactly what I was looking for.

Thank You for Your help.

Best Regards,
Michal

* Re: Not losing mail
@ 2008-03-23 15:16       ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-03-23 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 10:20:16 +0100, Reiner Steib <reinersteib+gmane@imap.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 21 2008, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
>> PS: I've _very_ recently switched to Gnus for all my email needs.
>> Once more.  There have been a couple of failed attempts in the past,
>> but I wasn't really familiar enough with Gnus and I was afraid of
>> losing massive amounts of email if I misconfigured it.
>
> While it _is_ possible to mis-configure Gnus to lose mail, I think it
> is quite hard to do it accidentally.  Those pitfalls (e.g. bogus split
> or expiry setting) are documented with big fat warning, I think.
> Additionally there are safety net mechanisms (see
> e.g. `mail-source-delete-incoming' in (info "(gnus)Mail Source
> Customization").

Yep, thanks ;-)

I found out about `mail-source-delete-incoming', and I also installed a
procmail filter which keeps a copy of messages to `~/Mailbox.save' for
the first few days.  When I was done configuring email splitting, the
filter was left in place and I now have just `mail-source-delete-incoming'
set to nil for the next few weeks.