all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* flymake and tramp
@ 2008-07-19 15:28 Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-07-19 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Has anyone been able to get flymake to work with tramp?
Is it possible?

* Flymake and tramp
@ 2009-05-07 14:49 Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2009-05-07 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I open a ruby buffer using tramp's ssh method I get a popup
stating:

Flymake: Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
buffername_flymake.rb). Flymake will be switched OFF

("buffername.rb" in the above will be the name of the file I'm opening)

I assume I need to supply tramp with hints as to where to find ruby?
Or flymake.el? But, the message implies a configuration error, is
there a tramp log perhaps that will show the error? Customizing
flymake-log-level to 3 results in the following in *Messages* which
doesn't say all that much more:

switched OFF Flymake mode for buffer blogg.rb due to fatal status
CFGERR, warning Configuration error has occured while running (ruby -c
blogg_flymake.rb)

I wonder too why it appends _flymake to the filename, such a file does not exist!

If I ssh into the same host and open the same buffer in emacs -nw, flymake
works fine and stays on.

Regards,
Jonathan Groll.