all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing
@ 2008-07-19 15:02 Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-07-19 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

[I know this question has been raised many times before, but I couldn't
find an appropriate thread fits to my situation. If you know one, don't
hesistate to bash me. BTW, gnu.emacs.gnus didn't return any replies.]

Despite below configurations, calling GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE on an article
from "18 Oct 2007" returns "Expiry recovered 0 NOV entries, deleted 0
files, and freed 0.000000 B." and obviously no expiration occurs. Any
ideas what I might be missing?

  (defun custom-nnmail-expiry-wait (group)
    (cond ((string-match "mail" (gnus-group-topic group)) 90)
	  (t 30)))

  (setq
   gnus-agent-expire-all nil
   gnus-agent-expire-days 7
   gnus-agent-expire-unagentized-dirs t
   nnmail-expiry-wait 7
   message-expires 7
   nnmail-expiry-wait-function 'custom-nnmail-expiry-wait
   gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups ".*")

BTW, among GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE-DAYS, NNMAIL-EXPIRY-WAIT, MESSAGE-EXPIRES
and NNMAIL-EXPIRY-WAIT-FUNCTION, how gnus decides which one to use?

Regards.

P.S. Using GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu) of 2008-07-19
     compiled against latest CVS tip.

* Re: GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing
@ 2008-07-21  7:40 ` Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-07-21  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008, Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com> writes:
> Despite below configurations, calling GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE on an article
> from "18 Oct 2007" returns "Expiry recovered 0 NOV entries, deleted 0
> files, and freed 0.000000 B." and obviously no expiration occurs. Any
> ideas what I might be missing?
>
>   (defun custom-nnmail-expiry-wait (group)
>     (cond ((string-match "mail" (gnus-group-topic group)) 90)
> 	  (t 30)))
>
>   (setq
>    gnus-agent-expire-all nil
>    gnus-agent-expire-days 7
>    gnus-agent-expire-unagentized-dirs t
>    nnmail-expiry-wait 7
>    message-expires 7
>    nnmail-expiry-wait-function 'custom-nnmail-expiry-wait
>    gnus-auto-expirable-newsgroups ".*")

I tracked down the problem and find out that

  (file-exists-p (gnus-agent-lib-file "active"))

in GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE-GROUP returns NIL. Where

  (gnus-agent-lib-file "active")

returns "/home/vy/gnus/news/agent/nnml/mailspool/agent.lib/active". I
suspect the problem is caused by my non-default gnus directory
configuration:

  (setq gnus-directory "~/gnus/news"
        nnml-directory "~/gnus/mail"
        mail-source-directory "~/gnus/mail-source"
        message-directory "~/gnus/mail")

Moreover,

  $ find ~/gnus -name "active"
  /home/vy/gnus/mail/active
  /home/vy/gnus/news/cache/active

Does that ring bells for someone? Any ideas how can I fix the problem?
Why there doesn't exist such an "active" file?

> BTW, among GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE-DAYS, NNMAIL-EXPIRY-WAIT, MESSAGE-EXPIRES
> and NNMAIL-EXPIRY-WAIT-FUNCTION, how gnus decides which one to use?

Um... I still need help for those as well.

Regards.

* GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing
@ 2008-07-22  7:38 Volkan YAZICI
From: Volkan YAZICI @ 2008-07-22  7:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I've been struggling with an article expiration problem since
weeks. Neither

- emacs-help mailing list,
- gnu.emacs.gnus news group,
- ding@gnus.org[1] mailing list

helped me to solve the problem. I'll be appreciated if anybody can help
me with the problem described in the attached post.

Regads.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2144 bytes --]

From: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo@ttmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: GNUS-AGENT-EXPIRE Does Nothing
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 10:40:46 +0300