At Thu, 03 Sep 2009 09:06:16 -0700, Suvayu Ali wrote: > > Hi Peter, > > On Thursday 03 September 2009 01:02 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote: > > > > Am 03.09.2009 um 01:06 schrieb Suvayu Ali: > > > >> So far only reference I found was, > >> > >>> Using emacsclient to make a new frame of a remote Emacs 22 on a local > >>> display > >>> ssh remote_host -f emacsclient --eval ‘”(make-frame-on-display > >>> \”$DISPLAY\”)”’ > >> > >> in the emacswiki[1]. Firstly I don't understand how this works, and > >> blindly copy-pasting this to the terminal didn't work either. Some > >> help would be greatly appreciated. :) > > > > > > Ssh opens a connection to remote_host and logs you in. The option -f > > puts ssh into the background allowing to launch an X client. This one is > > emacsclient, which is asked to evaluate some Lisp. This Lisp code is > > make-frame-on-display, which makes GNU Emacs open (create) a new frame > > on the specified screen as given by the environment variable DISPLAY. On > > the remote host DISPLAY should point to your local screen and its X > > server. So the remote GNU Emacs daemon or server will open a frame as an > > X client of your local display's X server and communicate with it via > > the SSH tunnel. > > > > > > If this does not work you can start to debug ssh, but particularly allow > > (trusted) X11 forwarding in the configuration of the SSH server on the > > remote host. Your local X server must be informed to accept connections > > from the remote host. > > > > Thanks for the very clear explanation Pete. :) I had a hunch it is > something like X-forwarding. I don't really like to do X-forwarding, the > interface is usually very unresponsive. I would rather go with `emacs -nw'. If you want to connect to a remote emacs but don't want to do X forwarding, then you can do either - start emacs with the --daemon option on the remote host; you can now connect to the running emacs instance with `emacsclient -t' which will give you an emacs terminal frame. Which will, of course, work over ssh as well. You can still get a X frame if you like by not using -t. This requires Emacs 23 to work. - the obvious solution: use GNU screen or a similar tool (dtach, tmux, ...), start your console mode emacs in there and reconnect as necessary. Works with any version of emacs, obviously. HTH, Anselm -- Anselm Helbig mailto:anselm.helbig+news2009@googlemail.com