all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
@ 2009-09-13  5:15 Corey Foote
From: Corey Foote @ 2009-09-13  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I'm trying to send commands to a shell buffer. I'm able to send the command "hello world" by calling this:

(defun exec-command ()
  (interactive)
  (set-buffer (get-buffer "*shell*"))
  (insert "hello world"))

But I can't figure out how to send over the "enter key" to actually make it execute the shell command. I'm an emacs lisp newbie!

Thanks everybody!

- Corey

http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222984/direct/01/

* Re: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
@ 2009-09-13  5:45 ` tomas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6560.1252824219.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.6558.1252820105.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2009-09-13  5:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* RE: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
@ 2009-09-13  6:43   ` Corey Foote
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6560.1252824219.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Corey Foote @ 2009-09-13  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas, help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, but I really am just looking for a way to send an "enter" keystroke to my *shell* buffer after I've inserted a command. I'm just trying to save myself a few keystrokes in my edit, compile, execute cycle.

> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:45:08 +0200
> From: tomas@tuxteam.de
> To: coreyfoote@hotmail.com
> CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp

Ready for Fall shows? Use Bing to find helpful ratings and reviews on digital tv's.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?q=digital+tv's&form=MSHNCB&publ=WLHMTAG&crea=TEXT_MSHNCB_Vertical_Shopping_DigitalTVs_1x1

* Re: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
@ 2009-09-13  6:55 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.6558.1252820105.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-09-13  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com> writes:

> I'm trying to send commands to a shell buffer. I'm able to send the command "hello world" by calling this:
>
> (defun exec-command ()
>   (interactive)
>   (set-buffer (get-buffer "*shell*"))
>   (insert "hello world"))

You probably want:

,----
|    (with-current-buffer "*shell*"
|        (goto-char (point-max))
|        (insert "echo hello world"))
`----

Or

,----
|    (switch-to-buffer "*shell*"
|      (goto-char (point-max))
|      (insert "echo hello world"))
`----

All that assume shell is started.
If not just run the shell you want from your function before inserting.

If you want a complete mode to send commands to a shell (even an xterm)
from emacs, have a look at eev-mode.
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EevMode

> But I can't figure out how to send over the "enter key" to actually make it execute the shell command. I'm an emacs lisp newbie!

If you use eshell as shell, the command is `eshell-send-input', but i
think it's better to use enter to be sure you really want to send the
command inserted.

But maybe what you only need is instead of all that is:

(shell-command "echo hello world")

Put point at end of this expression and hit C-x C-e.

> Thanks everybody!
>
> - Corey

A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
       [not found] <mailman.6557.1252818947.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-09-13  7:14 ` Helmut Eller
From: Helmut Eller @ 2009-09-13  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Corey Foote [2009-09-13 07:15+0200] writes:

> I'm trying to send commands to a shell buffer. I'm able to send the command
> "hello world" by calling this:
>
> (defun exec-command ()
>   (interactive)
>   (set-buffer (get-buffer "*shell*"))
>   (insert "hello world"))
>
> But I can't figure out how to send over the "enter key" to actually make it
> execute the shell command. I'm an emacs lisp newbie!

comint-send-input sends the region (and a newline) to the subprocess.
So:

(defun exec-command ()
  (interactive)
  (set-buffer (get-buffer "*shell*"))
  (insert "hello world")
  (comint-send-input))

should work.

Helmut

@ 2009-09-13  7:45   ` Bruno Barbier
From: Bruno Barbier @ 2009-09-13  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-09-13, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 01:15:38AM -0400, Corey Foote wrote:
>>
>> I'm trying to send commands to a shell buffer. I'm able to send the
>> command "hello world" by calling this:
>>
>> (defun exec-command ()
>>   (interactive)
>>   (set-buffer (get-buffer "*shell*"))
>>   (insert "hello world"))
>>
>> But I can't figure out how to send over the "enter key" to actually
>> make it execute the shell command. I'm an emacs lisp newbie!

I'm using the following code to send a command to an existing shell:

    (with-current-buffer buffer
      (let ((process (get-buffer-process (current-buffer)))
            )
        (unless process
          (error "No process in %s" buffer-or-name))
        (goto-char (process-mark process))
        (insert command-string)
        (comint-send-input nil
                           t  ;; artificial
                           )
        ))

so, the magic is:
    (comint-send-input nil t)

When I'm not using a shell and I just want the shell command result,
I'm doing:

   (with-output-to-temp-buffer "*shell result*"
      (shell-command "echo hello world" "*shell result*")
      )

* Re: sending commands to shell with emacs lisp
@ 2009-09-13 10:21     ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2009-09-13 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Corey Foote; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2009-09-13 14:39     ` despen
From: despen @ 2009-09-13 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Corey Foote <coreyfoote@hotmail.com> writes:

> Thanks, but I really am just looking for a way to send an "enter"
> keystroke to my *shell* buffer after I've inserted a command. I'm just
> trying to save myself a few keystrokes in my edit, compile, execute cycle.

For that, you want to use a Makefile and M-x compile.

For example, in the Makefile:

all: foo.test

foo: foo.c
     cc foo.c -o foo

foo.test: foo
     foo args

With that Makefile, just do M-x compile and your module
is compiled if need be, then the test is run.

You might use diff in the .test rule to capture the test output
and verify the results.

I've got M-x compile bound to F1 and M-x next-error bound to
F2.

So typically, for do the edit/compile/execute cycle, I finish
my edits, Hit F1, return, and I'm done.

An important advantage with M-x compile is that Emacs will
ask you if you want to save the file before the compile starts.
It's not necessary to remember to save the file.