all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
@ 2009-11-13 21:15 Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-11-13 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I'm trying to use the cvs version of emacs-w3m with Emacs 23.1.1 (the last stable
emacs-w3m won't load in emacs 23, and the trick on the wiki about telling it you're using an
older emacs doesn't work for me). I can load the cvs version ok in my init but when I run it
with M-x w3m I get this error:

 w3m-setup-widget-faces: Symbol widget-mouse-face may not be buffer-local

Am I missing some package? What can I do to fix this? I am using Arch Linux.

Thanks a lot,

Jim

* emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
@ 2009-11-14 19:27 Jim Burton
From: Jim Burton @ 2009-11-14 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, I'm trying to use the cvs version of emacs-w3m with Emacs 23.1.1 (the last stable
emacs-w3m won't load in emacs 23, and the trick on the wiki about telling it you're using an
older emacs doesn't work for me). I can load the cvs version ok in my init but when I run it
with M-x w3m I get this error:

 w3m-setup-widget-faces: Symbol widget-mouse-face may not be buffer-local

Am I missing some package? What can I do to fix this? I am using Arch Linux.

Thanks,

Jim

* Re: emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
       [not found] <mailman.10713.1258237923.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-25 21:54 ` quodlibetor
From: quodlibetor @ 2009-11-25 21:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I had this problem with M-x customize, here's what I did to break it
further in order for me to be able to customize things. (That is, this
works for me but I think I'm setting fire to my hard drive. You have
been warned)

First, I set `debug-on-error' to `t'

     M-: (setq debug-on-error t) RET

Then I did M-x customize (in your case M-x w3m) and, in the debug
buffer that popped up, I looked for the defun that failed, which
should be underlined, which means that it's a link. If you click on
it, it should take you to the file that is (setq)ing widget-mouse-
face.

Then, I commented out every line (setq)'d widget-mouse-face (I had to
start an editor as root to be able to edit the file.)

Then, I saved it.

Then, I

    M-x byte-compile-file RET

'd it.

Then, I restarted emacs, and it worked.

This feels like the wrong thing to do, but it works, and really,
widget-mouse-face *shouldn't* be important to the functionality of
anything, but god knows what the developer uses it for.

* Re: emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
@ 2009-11-26  9:19 ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2009-11-26  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Burton; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Jim Burton wrote:
> Hi, I'm trying to use the cvs version of emacs-w3m with Emacs 23.1.1 (the last stable
> emacs-w3m won't load in emacs 23, and the trick on the wiki about telling it you're using an
> older emacs doesn't work for me). I can load the cvs version ok in my init but when I run it
> with M-x w3m I get this error:
>
>  w3m-setup-widget-faces: Symbol widget-mouse-face may not be buffer-local
>
> Am I missing some package? What can I do to fix this? I am using Arch Linux.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Hi,

think it might be helpful to drop a message to w3m mailing list:
emacs-w3m@namazu.org

Thanks

Andreas

* Re: emacs-w3m and Emacs 23.1.1
@ 2009-11-26 21:58   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2009-11-26 21:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

quodlibetor <quodlibetor@gmail.com> writes:

> I had this problem with M-x customize, here's what I did to break it
> further in order for me to be able to customize things. (That is, this
> works for me but I think I'm setting fire to my hard drive. You have
> been warned)
>

> First, I set `debug-on-error' to `t'
>
>      M-: (setq debug-on-error t) RET
>
> Then I did M-x customize (in your case M-x w3m) and, in the debug
> buffer that popped up, I looked for the defun that failed, which
> should be underlined, which means that it's a link. If you click on
> it, it should take you to the file that is (setq)ing widget-mouse-
> face.
>
> Then, I commented out every line (setq)'d widget-mouse-face (I had to
> start an editor as root to be able to edit the file.)
>
> Then, I saved it.
>
> Then, I
>
>     M-x byte-compile-file RET
>
> 'd it.
>
> Then, I restarted emacs, and it worked.
>
> This feels like the wrong thing to do, but it works, and really,
> widget-mouse-face *shouldn't* be important to the functionality of
> anything, but god knows what the developer uses it for.

I missed the start of the thread, so I might be misisng valuable
information.

Both Debian and Ubuntu have a w3m-el-snapshot package that contains the
latest development snapshot of w3m-el. It works without error under
emacs 23 (including CVS versions aka 23.2). For those not running a
distro with a dev snapshot package of w3m-el, building form the latest
version should work fine with emacs 23.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au