all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6145: wikipedia-mode hard to fix linebreaks
@ 2010-05-09 16:28 jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-05-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cyd, oub; +Cc: 6145

In wikipedia-mode I was unable to remove the line breaks, and thus
was unable to insert this chunk into
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_GPS  Assistance falls into
two categories:
# Using information known to the assistance server but not the GPS
receiver
#* It can supply [[ephemeris|orbital data]] or almanac for the GPS
satellites to the GPS receiver, enabling the GPS receiver to lock
the satellites more rapidly in some cases.
#* The network can provide precise time.
#* The device captures a snapshot of the GPS signal, with
   approximate
time, for the server to later process into a
position.<ref>[http://www.geotate.com]</ref>
#* Accurate, surveyed coordinates for the [[cell site]] towers
   allow
better knowledge of local [[ionospheric]] conditions and other
conditions affecting the GPS signal than the GPS receiver alone,
enabling more precise calculation of position. (See also
[[Wide Area Augmentation System]] and
[http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/CellHunter CellHunter].)
# Calculation of position by the server using information from the
  GPS
receiver
#* The assistance server has a good satellite signal, and
   plentiful
computation power, so it can compare fragmentary signals relayed
to it
by GPS receivers, with the satellite signal it receives directly,
and
then inform the GPS receiver or emergency services of the GPS
receiver's position.

P.S., please make wikipedia-mode part of emacs. P.S., is
;; Version: 0.5
;; $Id: wikipedia-mode.el,v 1.5 2006/05/30 15:16:45 oub Exp oub $
the latest?

* bug#6145: wikipedia-mode hard to fix linebreaks
@ 2010-05-10  9:34 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-05-10  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: cyd, bug-gnu-emacs

   > In wikipedia-mode I was unable to remove the line breaks, and thus was
   > unable to insert this chunk into

Can you please describe in more detail what you did?

Did you generate the text in wikipedia-mode? That would
surprise me because in that mode emacs should produce
"longlines".

Or did you copy the text from somewhere? Even so it is
strange since text from say a Word processor such as
Openoffice usually comes with "longlines".

What functions did you try out in order to get rid of the
linebreaks?

The text below is the text in question, I just copied it
into a file (test2.wiki) applied
(wikipedia-unfill-article)

And it worked as expected.

Uwe Brauer

   > P.S., please make wikipedia-mode part of emacs. P.S., is
   > ;; Version: 0.5
   > ;; $Id: wikipedia-mode.el,v 1.5 2006/05/30 15:16:45 oub Exp oub $
   > the latest?
Well that is the version I sent once to emacs sources. I
have a newer version, the last changes are couple of weeks
old, however the filling functions should work in version
you are using besides Mark wanted to merge wikipedia-mode
with mediawiki mode. So I don't know what to do, sending my
upgraded version wait for a decision of the others.

* bug#6152: wikipedia-mode hard to fix linebreaks
@ 2010-05-10 10:06   ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-05-10 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oub; +Cc: 6152, cyd

Sorry Uwe, I have now fixed my problem. I did it by putting this in
~/.emacs-w3m.el :
(autoload 'wikipedia-mode "wikipedia-mode.el")
(add-hook
 'w3m-form-input-textarea-mode-hook
 (lambda nil
   (turn-off-auto-fill)
   (wikipedia-mode)
   (longlines-mode 0) ;;The Key, DISCOVERED QUITE ON MY OWN
   (define-key wikipedia-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'w3m-form-input-textarea-set)
   (define-key wikipedia-mode-map "\M-u" 'upcase-word)
   ))

* bug#6152: wikipedia-mode hard to fix linebreaks
@ 2010-05-10 10:41     ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2010-05-10 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jidanni; +Cc: cyd, bug-gnu-emacs

   > Sorry Uwe, I have now fixed my problem. I did it by putting this in
   > ~/.emacs-w3m.el :
well I am glad but I still don't understand: wikipedia-mode
is a mayor mode, (all files with extension .wiki have this
mode turned on.)

but it seems you edited a file in
w3m-form-input-textarea-mode-hook! Of course in the mode,
auto-fill might be turned on.

BTW longlines mode is for *displaying* longlines it has
nothing to do with linebreaks!

Well another solution would be to modify the auto-list.

(add-to-list  'auto-mode-alist
     (cons '("\\.wiki\\'" . wikipedia-mode) auto-mode-alist))

and substitute .wiki by the extension you like.

Uwe

   > (autoload 'wikipedia-mode "wikipedia-mode.el")
   > (add-hook
   >  'w3m-form-input-textarea-mode-hook
   >  (lambda nil
   >    (turn-off-auto-fill)
   >    (wikipedia-mode)
   >    (longlines-mode 0) ;;The Key, DISCOVERED QUITE ON MY OWN
   >    (define-key wikipedia-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'w3m-form-input-textarea-set)
   >    (define-key wikipedia-mode-map "\M-u" 'upcase-word)
   >    ))

* bug#6153: wikipedia-mode hard to fix linebreaks
@ 2010-05-10 11:03       ` jidanni
From: jidanni @ 2010-05-10 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oub; +Cc: 6153, cyd

UB> but it seems you edited a file in
UB> w3m-form-input-textarea-mode-hook! Of course in the mode,
UB> auto-fill might be turned on.

Yes, http://jidanni.org/comp/configuration/.emacs-w3m and the rest of
the files there are what I use...

UB> BTW longlines mode is for *displaying* longlines it has
UB> nothing to do with linebreaks!

All I can say is now I am back in business, and I hope your extension
gets into official Emacs.