all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dbus question
@ 2011-11-04 20:56 Eric W. Bates
From: Eric W. Bates @ 2011-11-04 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I apologize if this has been asked many times. I'm a list n00b and I
could not find a solution with Google.

My ISP is using a stock Debian emacs build and has no interest in
compiling emacs with dbus disabled. At the same time, this is a headless
server and dbus is not running. So every time emacs starts, it barfs with:

process 3824: D-bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed to
read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": ...

My question:
can d-bus affiliation be disabled via a .emacs setting; or can it only
be disable by building emacs WITHOUT_DBUS?

Thank you for your time.

* Re: dbus question
@ 2011-11-07 14:21 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-11-07 14:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Bates; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Eric W. Bates" <eric@educompmv.com> writes:

Hi Eric,

> My ISP is using a stock Debian emacs build and has no interest in
> compiling emacs with dbus disabled. At the same time, this is a
> headless server and dbus is not running. So every time emacs starts,
> it barfs with:
>
> process 3824: D-bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed
> to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": ...
>
> My question:
> can d-bus affiliation be disabled via a .emacs setting; or can it only
> be disable by building emacs WITHOUT_DBUS?

Emacs uses native libdbus, linked statically. I'm not aware of an option
to suppress connection to the system bus during initialization.

Does Emacs works correctly after that message? In this case, it might be
sufficient to ignore it simply.

> Thank you for your time.

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: dbus question
@ 2011-11-07 14:44   ` Eric W. Bates
From: Eric W. Bates @ 2011-11-07 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 11/7/2011 9:21 AM, Michael Albinus wrote:
> "Eric W. Bates"<eric@educompmv.com>  writes:
>
> Hi Eric,
>
>> My ISP is using a stock Debian emacs build and has no interest in
>> compiling emacs with dbus disabled. At the same time, this is a
>> headless server and dbus is not running. So every time emacs starts,
>> it barfs with:
>>
>> process 3824: D-bus library appears to be incorrectly set up; failed
>> to read machine uuid: Failed to open "/var/lib/dbus/machine-id": ...
>>
>> My question:
>> can d-bus affiliation be disabled via a .emacs setting; or can it only
>> be disable by building emacs WITHOUT_DBUS?
>
> Emacs uses native libdbus, linked statically. I'm not aware of an option
> to suppress connection to the system bus during initialization.
>
> Does Emacs works correctly after that message? In this case, it might be
> sufficient to ignore it simply.

Yah. It all works fine.

I'm simply too dense to not type "emacs &". I then wait 10 minutes for
the window to appear before I remember that there is text output... [sigh]

>> Thank you for your time.
>
> Best regards, Michael.

* Re: dbus question
@ 2011-11-07 14:57     ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2011-11-07 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric W. Bates; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

"Eric W. Bates" <eric@educompmv.com> writes:

> I'm simply too dense to not type "emacs &". I then wait 10 minutes for
> the window to appear before I remember that there is text
> output... [sigh]

# alias emacs emacs >/dev/null

Best regards, Michael.