all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-23 16:24 Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-23 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs help

Hi,

If I want to create a new message with "m", it shows my default email address in "From:" I specified with
(setq user-mail-address "my.name@uni.edu")
Since I have a second account (googlemail), every once in a while I would like to hav "From: my.name@googlemail.com" instead of "From: my.name@uni.edu". So far, I deleted the entry and typed in my gmail account's address. Is there a simpler way?
I also tried to hit "m" when the point is on my gmail account in the *Group* buffer, but that did not open a new message with the corresponding "From:" address...

Cheers,

Marius

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-23 16:35 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2011-11-23 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:

Hi Marius,

> If I want to create a new message with "m", it shows my default email
> address in "From:" I specified with (setq user-mail-address
> "my.name@uni.edu") Since I have a second account (googlemail), every
> once in a while I would like to hav "From: my.name@googlemail.com"
> instead of "From: my.name@uni.edu". So far, I deleted the entry and
> typed in my gmail account's address. Is there a simpler way?

Yep, posting styles.

,----[ (info "(gnus)Posting Styles") ]
`----

,----[ C-h k m (in *Group*) ]
| m runs the command gnus-group-mail, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
| function in `gnus-msg.el'.
|
| It is bound to m, <menu-bar> <Gnus> <Send a mail>.
|
| (gnus-group-mail &optional ARG)
|
| Start composing a mail.
| If ARG, use the group under the point to find a posting style.
| If ARG is 1, prompt for a group name to find the posting style.
`----

The way to set the ARG when invoking a commant with M-x or a key binding
is to prefix it with `C-u'.  So if you already have a posting style
defined for the group point is on, `C-u m' will use that for the new
mail.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
(What the world needs (I think) is not
      (a Lisp (with fewer parentheses))

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-23 22:17   ` Marius Hofert
From: Marius Hofert @ 2011-11-23 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: Emacs help

Hi Tassilo,

works flawlessly, many thanks (once again).

Cheers,

Marius

@ 2011-11-25  2:17     ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-11-25  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I often find myself wanting to change the From: after opening the
message; this allows picking one of your accounts:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
(defcustom my-smtp-accounts nil
  "*list of available smtp accounts"
  :group 'smtpmail
  :type '(repeat alist))

(defun my-pick-smtp ()
  (interactive)
  (setq user-mail-address
        (let ((f (if (functionp 'ido-completing-read)
                     'ido-completing-read
                   completing-read)))
          (funcall f "Which smtp acc:" (mapcar 'cadr my-smtp-accounts))))
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (message-narrow-to-headers-or-head)
      (message-remove-header "From")
      (goto-char (point-max))
      (insert "From: " (message-make-from) "\n"))))

#+end_src

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-25  3:12       ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-25  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Nov 25 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:

> I often find myself wanting to change the From: after opening the
> message; this allows picking one of your accounts:

Is this much different from `message-alternative-emails'? I think that's
what I use to set my possible From addresses, and then TAB at the end of
the address will cycle through the possible addresses.

Eric

--
GNU Emacs 24.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2011-11-07 on pellet

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-26 12:03         ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-11-26 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> On Fri, Nov 25 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
>
>> I often find myself wanting to change the From: after opening the
>> message; this allows picking one of your accounts:
>
> Is this much different from `message-alternative-emails'? I think that's
> what I use to set my possible From addresses, and then TAB at the end of
> the address will cycle through the possible addresses.
>
> Eric

---8<---[snipped 21 lines]---8<---

I didn't know about `message-alternative-emails', and setting From: from
To: or Cc: works nicely :) !

But I can't seem to cycle. Is that something that's supposed to work in
plain gnus (tried it without all my configs) or do I need to set up
something else?

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-11-27  1:52           ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2011-11-27  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, Nov 26 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:

>> On Fri, Nov 25 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
>>
>>> I often find myself wanting to change the From: after opening the
>>> message; this allows picking one of your accounts:
>>
>> Is this much different from `message-alternative-emails'? I think that's
>> what I use to set my possible From addresses, and then TAB at the end of
>> the address will cycle through the possible addresses.
>>
>> Eric
>>
> ---8<---[snipped 21 lines]---8<---
>
> I didn't know about `message-alternative-emails', and setting From: from
> To: or Cc: works nicely :) !
>
> But I can't seem to cycle. Is that something that's supposed to work in
> plain gnus (tried it without all my configs) or do I need to set up
> something else?

Hmm, I'm not quite sure about this one, and it's hard to get a plain
config. As all the other message buffer cycling is provided by BBDB in
my case, it's possible that that's what's doing it for me. After I set
`message-alternative-emails' in my gnus.el, I also do this:

(setq bbdb-user-mail-address-re message-alternative-emails
      gnus-ignored-from-addresses message-alternative-emails)

That basically sorts all the "own emails" issues for me. Again, I
suspect it's BBDB that provides cycling.

Good luck,
Eric

--

@ 2011-11-27 19:03 ` Memnon Anon
From: Memnon Anon @ 2011-11-27 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Marius Hofert <marius.hofert@math.ethz.ch> writes:
[...]
> Since I have a second account (googlemail), every once in a while I
> would like to hav "From: my.name@googlemail.com" instead of "From:
> my.name@uni.edu". So far, I deleted the entry and typed in my gmail
> account's address. Is there a simpler way?
[...]

A little late, but I've been using gnus-pers for this for
quite some time.

  http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GnusPers

Part of debians gnus-bonus-el.

hth
Memnon

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-03 19:17 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2011-12-03 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marius Hofert; +Cc: Emacs help

* 2011-11-23T17:24:49+01:00 * Marius Hofert wrote:

> If I want to create a new message with "m", it shows my default email
> address in "From:" [...] every once in a while I would like to hav
> "From: my.name@googlemail.com" instead of "From: my.name@uni.edu". So
> far, I deleted the entry and typed in my gmail account's address. Is
> there a simpler way?

Here's my solution for (1) setting up Gnus for several mail addresses
and (2) cycling them easily in a message-mode buffer (using F9 key).

    (setq user-full-name "User Name")

    (defvar my-email-addresses
      '("primary.address@internet.invalid"
        "other.address@somewhere.invalid"
        "yet.another@invalid"))

    ;; Set important variables

    (let ((addr my-email-addresses))
      (setq-default
       user-mail-address (car addr)
       message-alternative-emails (regexp-opt (cdr addr) 'words)
       message-dont-reply-to-names (regexp-opt addr 'words)
       gnus-ignored-from-addresses message-dont-reply-to-names))

    ;; The cycling functionality

    (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'my-message-mode-hook)

    (defun my-message-mode-hook ()
      (define-key message-mode-map (kbd "<f9>")
        'my-message-toggle-from))

    (defun my-message-toggle-from ()
      (interactive)
      (require 'mail-extr)
      (let* ((current (nth 1 (mail-extract-address-components
                              (message-fetch-field "From"))))
             (next (or (nth 1 (member current my-email-addresses))
                       (nth 0 my-email-addresses))))

        (when (and current next)
          (save-excursion
            (save-restriction
              (message-narrow-to-head)
              (save-match-data
                (when (re-search-forward "^From: " nil t)
                  (message-narrow-to-field)
                  (delete-region (point-min) (point-max))
                  (insert "From: " user-full-name " <" next ">\n"))))))))

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-03 21:10             ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-12-03 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Abrahamsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On Sat, Nov 26 2011, Philipp Haselwarter wrote:
>
>> Eric Abrahamsen <eric@ericabrahamsen.net> writes:

>>> Is this much different from `message-alternative-emails'? I think that's
>>> what I use to set my possible From addresses, and then TAB at the end of
>>> the address will cycle through the possible addresses.
>>>
>> I didn't know about `message-alternative-emails', and setting From: from
>> To: or Cc: works nicely :) !
>>
>> But I can't seem to cycle.
>
> [...] I suspect it's BBDB that provides cycling.

I don't use the `message-alternative-emails' at all, and I am quite sure
the cycling is provided by BBDB (3.02) by matching my records `mail'
field. These are the likely candidates to use in your .gnus.el file:

,----
`----

--
Johnny

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-03 22:53               ` Philipp Haselwarter
From: Philipp Haselwarter @ 2011-12-03 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

---8<---[snipped 25 lines]---8<---

> ,----
> | (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
> | (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
> `----

I don't have the first one in bbdb3.02, but -mail- works like a charm :D

--
Philipp Haselwarter

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-04 12:58                 ` Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2011-12-04 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:

> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>
> ---8<---[snipped 25 lines]---8<---
>>
>> ,----
>> | (setq bbdb-complete-name-allow-cycling t)
>> | (setq bbdb-complete-mail-allow-cycling t)
>> `----
>
> I don't have the first one in bbdb3.02, but -mail- works like a charm :D

After going thru this thread a few times, I still am not `getting'
what you mean here.  Do you mind explaining in some detail what you
actually doing above?

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-05 19:44                   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-12-05 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> ---8<---[snipped 25 lines]---8<---
>>>
>>> ,----
>>> `----
>>
>> I don't have the first one in bbdb3.02, but -mail- works like a charm :D
>
> After going thru this thread a few times, I still am not `getting'
> what you mean here.  Do you mind explaining in some detail what you
> actually doing above?

Q:What mechanism are you using to cycle? When I hit tab it shows my
3 or 4 emails matching the seed in another window and I have to switch
to that window and select it (bbdb 3.02).

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-05 20:18                     ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-12-05 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

>> Philipp Haselwarter <philipp.haselwarter@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>>>
>>> ---8<---[snipped 25 lines]---8<---

>>> I don't have the first one in bbdb3.02, but -mail- works like a charm :D
>>
>> After going thru this thread a few times, I still am not `getting'
>> what you mean here.  Do you mind explaining in some detail what you
>> actually doing above?
>>

> Q:What mechanism are you using to cycle? When I hit tab it shows my
> 3 or 4 emails matching the seed in another window and I have to switch
> to that window and select it (bbdb 3.02).

I am using TAB to cycle. Maybe the following line that I have in my
.gnus.el is suppressing the popup behaviour  you describe?

,----
`----

--
Johnny

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-05 20:39                       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2011-12-05 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:

> Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> writes:

>>> After going thru this thread a few times, I still am not `getting'
>>> what you mean here.  Do you mind explaining in some detail what you
>>> actually doing above?
>>>

>> Q:What mechanism are you using to cycle? When I hit tab it shows my
>> 3 or 4 emails matching the seed in another window and I have to switch
>> to that window and select it (bbdb 3.02).
>>

> I am using TAB to cycle. Maybe the following line that I have in my
> .gnus.el is suppressing the popup behaviour  you describe?
>
> ,----
> | (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
> `----

Unfortunately not and its not documented as a variable either.

* Re: Gnus: How to easily change "From:" from the default to a second account's address?
@ 2011-12-05 20:58                         ` Johnny
From: Johnny @ 2011-12-05 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrg@gmail.com> writes:

> Johnny <yggdrasil@gmx.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I am using TAB to cycle. Maybe the following line that I have in my
>> .gnus.el is suppressing the popup behaviour  you describe?
>>
>> ,----
>> | (setq bbdb-use-pop-up nil)
>> `----
>
> Unfortunately not and its not documented as a variable either.

Yes, I noticed as well as I was trying to trace as to why I put it there
in the first place! I know I struggled for a long time going between
BBDB 2.35 and 3. intitially to avoid the popup that asks to add /all/
unknown recepients into BBDB. I got rid of that behaviour and am not
sure why, but haven't got around to cleanse my .gnus.el since!

Another candidate could be (sorry, I know I should try myself, but...)

,----
`----

--
Johnny