all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Migrating from compile-internal (psgml)
@ 2013-07-24  9:38 Florian v. Savigny
From: Florian v. Savigny @ 2013-07-24  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi there!

I have just discovered that C-c C-v (sgml-validate) does not work in
psgml anymore because it uses an obsolete function, which has
disappeared as of Emacs 24.3 (namely, compile-internal).

I have found out how to work around this (get a copy of a pre-24.3
compile.el and load it before calling sgml-validate), but I am
wondering if there is some rather straightforward, standard way of
migrating such packages to the new way that compile.el offers, because
my workaround is surely not a clean way of dealing with this. What I
have read about the changes seemed rather a little discouraging.

(An alternative might be creating some kind of intermediate layer,
which emulates compile-internal, but it would have to make sure that
other packages are not confused.)

Other packages must surely have migrated, too, it seems to me ... Any
suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Florian

* Re: Migrating from compile-internal (psgml)
@ 2013-07-24 11:06 ` Stephen Berman
From: Stephen Berman @ 2013-07-24 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 05:38:04 -0400 florian@fsavigny.de (Florian v. Savigny) wrote:

> Hi there!
>
> I have just discovered that C-c C-v (sgml-validate) does not work in
> psgml anymore because it uses an obsolete function, which has
> disappeared as of Emacs 24.3 (namely, compile-internal).
>
> I have found out how to work around this (get a copy of a pre-24.3
> compile.el and load it before calling sgml-validate), but I am
> wondering if there is some rather straightforward, standard way of
> migrating such packages to the new way that compile.el offers, because
> my workaround is surely not a clean way of dealing with this. What I
> have read about the changes seemed rather a little discouraging.
>
> (An alternative might be creating some kind of intermediate layer,
> which emulates compile-internal, but it would have to make sure that
> other packages are not confused.)
>
> Other packages must surely have migrated, too, it seems to me ... Any
> suggestions?

Maybe psgml can do what smgl-mode did long ago:

2005-08-26  Romain Francoise  <romain@orebokech.com>

        [...]
	* textmodes/sgml-mode.el (sgml-validate): Use `compilation-start'
	instead of the obsolete `compile-internal'.

Steve Berman