all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Ordered font preferences
@ 2013-10-04 13:39 Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-10-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

When I insert a unicode character that my main font doesn't feature
Emacs uses another font to display it.  However, I'm not happy with
the "randomness" of the choice of the font, as it often messes up the
height of the line, uses too small symbols, etc.

Thus, I would like Emacs to always prefer DejaVu as a fallback font
(i.e. the second choice after my system font).

I would prefer /not/ to specify any unicode ranges (e.g. 'symbol) or
anything but just specify

  ("most preferred font" "second most preferred font" ...).

or, alternatively, "ban" some fonts from being used.

So

   (set-fontset-font "fontset-default"  'symbol (font-spec :family "DejaVu Sans Mono"))

is too "strong" here as it overwrites some glyphs from my main font.
I would rather not add each symbol manually. . .

I think I might be able to fontset, but I'm not sure if it will do as
desired.

Thanks,
Rasmus

--
A page of history is worth a volume of logic

* Re: Ordered font preferences
@ 2013-10-04 15:39 ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2013-10-04 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rasmus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> When I insert a unicode character that my main font doesn't feature
> Emacs uses another font to display it.  However, I'm not happy with
> the "randomness" of the choice of the font, as it often messes up the
> height of the line, uses too small symbols, etc.

I use the unicode-fonts[1] package by Roland Walker, but am also
interested in a more lightweight alternative. This one adds a
considerable delay to Emacs startup, in my configuration at least.

unicode-fonts allows to specify the preferred font by Unicode block,
in a relatively friendly Customize UI. This is not exactly what you
want but way less tedious than specifying ranges.

[1]: https://github.com/rolandwalker/unicode-fonts

* Re: Ordered font preferences
@ 2013-10-04 15:48   ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-10-04 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Yuri,

Thanks for your reply.

Yuri Khan <yuri.v.khan@gmail.com> writes:

> On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:
>
>> When I insert a unicode character that my main font doesn't feature
>> Emacs uses another font to display it.  However, I'm not happy with
>> the "randomness" of the choice of the font, as it often messes up the
>> height of the line, uses too small symbols, etc.
>
> I use the unicode-fonts[1] package by Roland Walker, but am also
> interested in a more lightweight alternative. This one adds a
> considerable delay to Emacs startup, in my configuration at least.

Yeah, I also get notable delay in start-up speed when loading fonts.
Which is why I just do (setq font-use-system-font t) now.

> unicode-fonts allows to specify the preferred font by Unicode block,
> in a relatively friendly Customize UI. This is not exactly what you
> want but way less tedious than specifying ranges.

Yeah, it seems a bit better in that regard.  But I'm not sure exactly
which glyphs are covered in my preferred font (and it may be updated)
so I'd rather not specify anything like this.

–Rasmus

--
When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?