all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* browsing an elisp codebase
@ 2013-10-17 15:20 Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2013-10-17 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

M-. and M-, work in clojure with nrepl.el and NOT in an elisp buffer

I'd like to jump to a definition and then jump back to where I came from.

ECB seems an overkill to me.

Thanks for any hint

* Re: browsing an elisp codebase
@ 2013-10-17 15:44 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-10-17 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> M-. and M-, work in clojure with nrepl.el and NOT in an elisp buffer
>
> I'd like to jump to a definition and then jump back to where I came from.
>
> ECB seems an overkill to me.
>
> Thanks for any hint

This function jumps to a definition, but not back, and sometimes I get errors,
but I never took the trouble to investigate:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
;; jumps to the source of the symbol at point
(defun tj/goto-symbol-definition ()
  "jump to the source of the symbol at point."
  (interactive)
  (require 'finder)
  (let ((thing (intern (thing-at-point 'symbol))))
    (if (functionp thing)
        (find-function thing)
      (find-variable thing))))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c f") 'tj/goto-symbol-definition)
#+end_src

But shouldn't etags work in elisp buffers??

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* RE: browsing an elisp codebase
@ 2013-10-17 18:34 ` Doug Lewan
From: Doug Lewan @ 2013-10-17 18:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Catonano,

I think you're looking for M-* (pop-tag-mark).

M-s o (occur) is another useful tool in this family.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

These are my principles and if you don't like them... well, I have others. - Groucho Marx

@ 2013-10-17 23:44 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2013-10-17 23:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Catonano; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Catonano <catonano@gmail.com> writes:

> M-. and M-, work in clojure with nrepl.el and NOT in an elisp buffer
>
> I'd like to jump to a definition and then jump back to where I came from.

Try https://github.com/purcell/elisp-slime-nav

* Re: browsing an elisp codebase
@ 2013-10-18  8:12   ` Leo Liu
From: Leo Liu @ 2013-10-18  8:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Gutov; +Cc: Catonano, help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-10-18 07:44 +0800, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> Try https://github.com/purcell/elisp-slime-nav

I am proposing this to emacs trunk:

Leo

* Re: browsing an elisp codebase
@ 2013-10-19 22:08     ` Catonano
From: Catonano @ 2013-10-19 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo Liu; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Dmitry Gutov

2013/10/18 Leo Liu <sdl.web@gmail.com>

> On 2013-10-18 07:44 +0800, Dmitry Gutov wrote:
> > Try https://github.com/purcell/elisp-slime-nav

Thanks, I'll have a look at it