all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* syntax highlighting on the fly
@ 2014-03-07 11:43 lee
From: lee @ 2014-03-07 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

is something available with emacs to do to syntax highlighting on the
fly?

"On the fly" means: You have a mode with syntax highlighting which does
most of the highlighting.  Now you work on a file (source code for some
program) in a buffer with your mode enabled, and you decide that for
this particular file, you want "foobar" to be highlighted.

You´d have to somehow tell emacs to do this, for example by adding a
comment like

// highlight: foobar

to your file.  You could also do it like

#define foobar 25

(since you´re using #define anyway) and have all occurances of "foobar"
highlighted.

It´s probably possible to write something for this, and I wouldn´t even
know where to start.  Perhaps it´s already built in and I only don´t
know about it?

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.