all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-10 23:10 Robert Thorpe
       [not found] ` <mailman.17006.1394585811.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-03-10 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I recently switched from Emacs 23 to Emacs 24.3.  Message now uses the
Auth-Source library instead of smtp-auth-credentials.

How is the server port supposed to be specified now?  It used to be in
smtp-auth-credentials.  The entry in .authinfo is "25" if I change that
then whenever I send an email I'm prompted for a username and password
and Emacs puts another entry in .authinfo with 25 for the port number.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-12  0:56 ` Michael Heerdegen
       [not found] ` <mailman.17006.1394585811.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-12  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Robert,

> I recently switched from Emacs 23 to Emacs 24.3.  Message now uses the
> Auth-Source library instead of smtp-auth-credentials.

> How is the server port supposed to be specified now?  It used to be in
> smtp-auth-credentials.  The entry in .authinfo is "25" if I change that
> then whenever I send an email I'm prompted for a username and password
> and Emacs puts another entry in .authinfo with 25 for the port number.

That's probably not enough.  With your solution, I think Gnus still
tries port 25, but doesn't find an according line in .authinfo.  So you
probably must configure this in Gnus as well, e.g. in your posting
styles.  I'm no Gnus expert, so this is more or less my experience based
knowledge.

But as an example I can give you my (working) configuration of my
googlemail account using port 587 for smtp.  This is the entry I have in
`gnus-posting-styles':

        ("@googlemail.com"
         ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.googlemail.com 587 heerdegen.michael")
         (address "heerdegen.michael@googlemail.com"))

and this is my according line in my .authinfo:

machine smtp.googlemail.com login heerdegen.michael port 587 password foo

HTH,

Michael.

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
       [not found] ` <mailman.17006.1394585811.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-03-12  1:07   ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2014-03-12  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Heerdegen wrote:
> and this is my according line in my .authinfo:
>
> machine smtp.googlemail.com login heerdegen.michael port 587 password foo

You need better passwords.

--
Joost Kremers                                   joostkremers@fastmail.fm
EN:SiS(9)

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-12  1:28     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-12  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joost Kremers <joost.m.kremers@gmail.com> writes:

> > machine smtp.googlemail.com login heerdegen.michael port 587
> > password foo
>
> You need better passwords.

No, it's not my real password... I used this hoping the specification
still fits into one line in my post, but I obviously failed ;-)

Michael.

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-12  1:35   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-03-12  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> That's probably not enough.  With your solution, I think Gnus still
> tries port 25, but doesn't find an according line in .authinfo.  So you
> probably must configure this in Gnus as well, e.g. in your posting
> styles.  I'm no Gnus expert, so this is more or less my experience based
> knowledge.
>
> But as an example I can give you my (working) configuration of my
> googlemail account using port 587 for smtp.  This is the entry I have in
> `gnus-posting-styles':
>
>         ("@googlemail.com"
>          ("X-Message-SMTP-Method" "smtp smtp.googlemail.com 587 heerdegen.michael")
>          (address "heerdegen.michael@googlemail.com"))

Thanks a lot for the info.  I don't use Gnus actually, and I don't know
anything about it. It's just that "Message" is now the default for
sending mail with C-x m.  I'll have a look at it though and see what I
can find.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-12  1:51     ` Michael Heerdegen
From: Michael Heerdegen @ 2014-03-12  1:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Thanks a lot for the info.  I don't use Gnus actually, and I don't know
> anything about it. It's just that "Message" is now the default for
> sending mail with C-x m.  I'll have a look at it though and see what I
> can find.

Oh, I assumed you use Gnus.  For message-mode, probably also with Gnus,
configuration depends on your value of `send-mail-function' (and
`message-send-mail-function' respectively).  If your method uses the
smtpmail library, it's probably enough to set `smtpmail-smtp-service'.

Regards,

Michael.

* Re: Changing the SMTP port
@ 2014-03-12  2:16       ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2014-03-12  2:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Michael Heerdegen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot, that did the trick.
I'd searched through the smtpmail-* variables before, what threw me was
that it says "service" not "port".

Robert Thorpe