all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 15:21 Tom
From: Tom @ 2014-10-26 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

I store some data text files and the other day I though it would
be nice to have a rendered chart of this data right in the
buffer.

So I created this little toy package and I'm posting it here, so it
may give ideas to somebody to create a minor mode which, when
turned on, similarly as iimage-mode does with image links shows
rendered charts of tabular data in the buffer.

This package does not need any external tool, only an internet
connection. Just eval the buffer, see what happens and then start
modifying the table data.

Here it is. (Click on Raw to get the raw text file.)

http://pastebin.com/i2KvC7uJ

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 15:27 ` Igor Sosa Mayor
From: Igor Sosa Mayor @ 2014-10-26 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:

> I store some data text files and the other day I though it would
> be nice to have a rendered chart of this data right in the
> buffer.

thanks for sharing! Maybe you could adapt it to be able to get the data
from orgmode tables...

--
:: Igor Sosa Mayor     :: joseleopoldo1792@gmail.com ::
:: GnuPG: 0x1C1E2890   :: http://www.gnupg.org/      ::

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 15:39   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2014-10-26 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Igor Sosa Mayor <joseleopoldo1792 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> thanks for sharing! Maybe you could adapt it to be able to get the data
> from orgmode tables...

Yes, it would make sense to use orgmode tables for this. But it
requires more thought (e.g. you may not want to render every table,
only those which are marked somehow for live rendering, and you
should be able to specify what kind of chart you want to see for a
particular table, etc.)

That's why I posted this simple demonstration here to give an idea
how such a feature could look like, in case somebody wants to develop
the idea further.

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 16:58 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-10-26 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-devel

> So I created this little toy package and I'm posting it here, so it
> may give ideas to somebody to create a minor mode which, when
> turned on, similarly as iimage-mode does with image links shows
> rendered charts of tabular data in the buffer.

I don't personally like the idea of sending my data to Google for them
to do this rendering.  Can't you get similar results with something
like jgraph?

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 17:10 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2014-10-26 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Tom; +Cc: emacs-devel

() Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com>
() Sun, 26 Oct 2014 15:21:05 +0000 (UTC)

   This package does not need any external tool,
   only an internet connection.

Hmm, that sounds contradictory.

I haven't looked at the code, but if you are willing
to share it under an appropriate license, why not post
directly to gnu-emacs-sources (at the usual gnu domain)?

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
   GPG key: 4C807502

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-26 17:13   ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2014-10-26 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Stefan Monnier <monnier <at> IRO.UMontreal.CA> writes:

> I don't personally like the idea of sending my data to Google for them
> to do this rendering.  Can't you get similar results with something
> like jgraph?

This toy package only demonstrates the concept with dummy data.
That's why I chose an online backend, so people can try it instantly
without having to install additional tools for it.

A proper implementation can use other backends, local ones, or
perhaps offering the choice for the user which backend he wants
to use.

* Re: Live chart in the buffer
@ 2014-10-27  1:46   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2014-10-27  1:46 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: adatgyujto, emacs-devel

  > > So I created this little toy package and I'm posting it here, so it
  > > may give ideas to somebody to create a minor mode which, when
  > > turned on, similarly as iimage-mode does with image links shows
  > > rendered charts of tabular data in the buffer.

  > I don't personally like the idea of sending my data to Google for them
  > to do this rendering.

Sending data to someone else's server for processing
is SaaSS -- which is equivalent to running a nonfree program.

Please, people, don't post code which does that.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation