all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* trouble with modify-frame-parameters
@ 2015-05-11 17:38 gottlieb
From: gottlieb @ 2015-05-11 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I execute the following function in *scratch* on a fresh emacs -Q

  (modify-frame-parameters		; for 2560x1600
   nil '((fullscreen . fullheight) (width . 176) (left . -1300)))

My screen is 2560x1600.  Emacs version is 24.4.  System is gentoo/gnome.

The frame does become fullheight and the width does become 176.
However, left is not correct (it should be flush left but is nearly
centered.
The weird part is if I execute the same command again (a second C-j in
*scratch), the frame moves to the correct, flush left, position.

An explanation would be appreciated.
thanks,
allan

PS If I use the more natural (left . 0) the frame moves near the left
edge but is not flush left (even if executed twice).

* RE: trouble with modify-frame-parameters
@ 2015-05-11 18:07 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2015-05-11 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gottlieb, help-gnu-emacs

>   (modify-frame-parameters nil '(... (left . -1300)))
> left is not correct (it should be flush left but is nearly centered.

From (elisp) `Position Parameters':

 A negative integer relates the right frame edge to the right screen edge.

You requested that the right edge of the frame be 1300 pixels from the
right edge of your screen.