Hi, I was fiddling around with the hydra package[1]. Hydra, which provides easily defined popups. And I had the following idea: Normally, I know my keybindings, so I type them in very fast. But sometimes I just don't know what the next character of a prefix command should be. So, when I wait long enough, a pre-defined hydra should be spawned. And there is already something that does does something when a partial keystroke sits there long enough: the echo-keystrokes timeout. So, I searched for a hook to call my hydra there. But I didn't found one (so please give me a hint, if i missed something). So I took a look into keyboard.c and inserted a hook there that is called when the dash of an partial keystroke is echoed. Together with the following lisp code I can easily define general echo-keystroke timeouts: (defvar echo-area-keystroke-keymap (make-sparse-keymap)) (define-key echo-area-keystroke-keymap (kbd "C-c p") 'hydra-projectile/body) (defun echo-area-keystroke-echoed (&optional key) (let ((keystroke (or key (this-command-keys)))) (when-let ((command (lookup-key echo-area-keystroke-keymap keystroke)) (command-found (not (integer-or-marker-p command)))) (ignore-errors (funcall command) (setq quit-flag t))))) (add-hook 'echo-area-keystroke-hook 'echo-area-keystroke-echoed) I don't know if this is useful, but I actually was really buffled that at that point there is no hook. And I don't know if added the hook correctly, since this is the very first time I touched a line of emacs C source code. What do you think? chris [1] https://github.com/abo-abo/hydra