all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: npostavs@users.sourceforge.net
To: 23996@debbugs.gnu.org
Cc: shlomivaknin@gmail.com
Subject: bug#23996: 25.0.95; rudel incompatible with eieio bundles in emacs 25
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2016 21:04:41 -0400	[thread overview]

tags 23996 fixed
close 23996
quit

[I'm not sure where you sent this mail, it's not showing up on the bug,
please send messages to 23996@debbugs.gnu.org so they're archived
properly]

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 6:52 PM,  <shlomivaknin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Oh,
>
> Ok, so its in elpa the source repository and not elpa the package repository (http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs/elpa.git/), and even there, you have to switch to externals/rudel branch to see the code.
>
> However, I cant seem to be able to compile or load it by following the directions in the INSTALL file.. When trying to recompile-directory all files are simply skipped. Running from the shell in the source directory:
>
> emacs -q  --batch --eval "(byte-recompile-directory \"./\" 0)"
>
> returns lots of "no such file or directory" errors for files like adopted-operation, rudel-util etc, all of which exists in the current directory.
>
> Whats the proper way to do that?

The most recent repo for rudel does appear to be ELPA.  The compile
instructions in README and INSTALL seem to be outdated.  The following
compiles successfully for me (though there are a bunch of warnings):

    emacs -Q --batch -L . -f batch-byte-compile *.el

I managed to get something working this time:

    # first Emacs instance
    emacs -Q -L . -l rudel-mode.el &
    M-x global-rudel-minor-mode
    C-c c h
    C-c c j localhost RET 6522 RET red RET n RET qqq RET www RET
    C-c c p RET # publish *scratch*

    # second Emacs instance
    emacs -Q -L . -l rudel-mode.el &
    M-x global-rudel-minor-mode
    C-c c j localhost RET 6522 RET blue RET n RET qqq RET www RET
    C-c c s TAB RET yes RET # subscribe to scratch

So I've bumped the version in ELPA to 0.3.1 and I'm closing this bug.