all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Creating New Files Using Ido
@ 2017-02-04 22:49 Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2017-02-04 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Often, I want to create a new file that has a similar filename to
an existing file.  This is due to a naming convention used where I work.

Suppose that there's a file called "foo".  I want to make a file called
"f".  That is, I want to make a file with a name that's a prefix of an
existing file.

I usually have Ido enabled.  I can't figure out how to do this without
disabling it.  The problem is that it always completes to the name of
the existing file.  Is there a way to do this with Ido on?

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: Creating New Files Using Ido
@ 2017-02-04 22:55 ` Dmitry Gutov
From: Dmitry Gutov @ 2017-02-04 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe, help-gnu-emacs

On 05.02.2017 00:49, Robert Thorpe wrote:
> Often, I want to create a new file that has a similar filename to
> an existing file.  This is due to a naming convention used where I work.
>
> Suppose that there's a file called "foo".  I want to make a file called
> "f".  That is, I want to make a file with a name that's a prefix of an
> existing file.
>
> I usually have Ido enabled.  I can't figure out how to do this without
> disabling it.  The problem is that it always completes to the name of
> the existing file.  Is there a way to do this with Ido on?

Yes. Instead of RET, press C-j.

* Re: Creating New Files Using Ido
@ 2017-02-05  7:06 ` Teemu Likonen
From: Teemu Likonen @ 2017-02-05  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Thorpe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe [2017-02-04 22:49:00Z] wrote:

> Often, I want to create a new file that has a similar filename to an
> existing file. This is due to a naming convention used where I work.

> I usually have Ido enabled. I can't figure out how to do this without
> disabling it. The problem is that it always completes to the name of
> the existing file. Is there a way to do this with Ido on?

You probably create new files with C-x C-f or C-x C-w and get the Ido
prompt. If you then press C-f you'll switch to normal Emacs prompt which
I think is often better than Ido when creating new files or directories.

--
/// Teemu Likonen   - .-..   <https://keybase.io/tlikonen> //
// PGP: 4E10 55DC 84E9 DFF6 13D7 8557 719D 69D3 2453 9450 ///

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Creating New Files Using Ido
@ 2017-02-05  7:32   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2017-02-05  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Teemu Likonen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Robert Thorpe

On 2017-02-05, at 08:06, Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> wrote:

> Robert Thorpe [2017-02-04 22:49:00Z] wrote:
>
>> Often, I want to create a new file that has a similar filename to an
>> existing file. This is due to a naming convention used where I work.
>
>> I usually have Ido enabled. I can't figure out how to do this without
>> disabling it. The problem is that it always completes to the name of
>> the existing file. Is there a way to do this with Ido on?
>
> You probably create new files with C-x C-f or C-x C-w and get the Ido
> prompt. If you then press C-f you'll switch to normal Emacs prompt which
> I think is often better than Ido when creating new files or directories.

This is (slightly) off-topic, but a _former_ user of Ido, converted to
Ivy (better imho) here: in Ivy, you can press C-M-j instead of RET.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski

* Re: Creating New Files Using Ido
@ 2017-02-06  8:21 ` AW
From: AW @ 2017-02-06  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Robert Thorpe

Am Samstag, 4. Februar 2017, 22:49:00 CET schrieb Robert Thorpe:
> Often, I want to create a new file that has a similar filename to
> an existing file.  This is due to a naming convention used where I work.
>
> Suppose that there's a file called "foo".  I want to make a file called
> "f".  That is, I want to make a file with a name that's a prefix of an
> existing file.
>
> I usually have Ido enabled.  I can't figure out how to do this without
> disabling it.  The problem is that it always completes to the name of
> the existing file.  Is there a way to do this with Ido on?
>
> BR,
> Robert Thorpe

Without IDO:

Open the existing file, C-x C-w M-n