all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* specifying printer to gnus
@ 2018-06-06 19:31 allan gottlieb
From: allan gottlieb @ 2018-06-06 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have two printers on my system.
  ss is a color deskjet connected via the lan
  lj is a b/w laserjet directly connected via usb

I want to print on lj by default.
I set the PRINTER env variable to lj in .bash_profile

When I execute gnus-summary-pipe-output (via | in Summary)
the article (mail message) is printed on lj

When I execute gnus-mime-pipe-part (via | in Article)
the attachment is printed on lj

However, when I execute ajg-gnus-summary-print-article-maybe-bw
(via AP in Summary) the article is printed on ss.

This suggests my ajg-gnus-summary-print-article-maybe-bw is at fault,
but here is the entire function

(defun ajg-gnus-summary-print-article-maybe-bw ()
  "Print with `gnus-summary-print-article' possibly in black&white."
  (interactive)
  (let ((ps-print-color-p ajg-color-printer-p))
    (call-interactively 'gnus-summary-print-article)))

I don't see where the printer is being set to ss.
Any hints?

thanks in advance,
allan

* Re: specifying printer to gnus
@ 2018-06-06 19:41 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2018-06-06 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

allan gottlieb <gottlieb@nyu.edu> writes:

> I have two printers on my system.
>   ss is a color deskjet connected via the lan
>   lj is a b/w laserjet directly connected via usb
>
> I want to print on lj by default.
> I set the PRINTER env variable to lj in .bash_profile
>
> When I execute gnus-summary-pipe-output (via | in Summary)
> the article (mail message) is printed on lj
>
> When I execute gnus-mime-pipe-part (via | in Article)
> the attachment is printed on lj

When you pipe the article or part, the command you give it there honors
the $PRINTER variable.

> However, when I execute ajg-gnus-summary-print-article-maybe-bw
> (via AP in Summary) the article is printed on ss.

I don't think anything in ps-*.el honors the $PRINTER variable. Maybe
set `ps-printer-name' or `printer-name'? These are guesses,
unfortunately...

Eric

* Re: specifying printer to gnus
       [not found] <mailman.1351.1528313476.1292.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2018-06-06 19:59 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2018-06-06 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

allan gottlieb wrote:

> I don't see where the printer is being set to ss.
> Any hints?

What happens if you just set the printer
manually and print the Gnus article like any
other buffer?

    (setq printer-name "laser-foomatic-1")
    (print-buffer)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: specifying printer to gnus
@ 2018-06-06 20:32   ` allan gottlieb
From: allan gottlieb @ 2018-06-06 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Jun 06 2018, Emanuel Berg wrote:

> allan gottlieb wrote:
>
>> I don't see where the printer is being set to ss.
>> Any hints?
>
> What happens if you just set the printer
> manually and print the Gnus article like any
> other buffer?
>
>     (setq printer-name "laser-foomatic-1")
>     (print-buffer)

Works great.  It also, as you doubtless expected,
makes AP work from the Summary buffer.

Thank you both.
allan