all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* eshell/tramp slurm use case
@ 2018-10-03 14:13 Tim Ransom
From: Tim Ransom @ 2018-10-03 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello emacs people,

I like to use eshell on my local machine, and that is going great. I will
also use it and tramp to do things on a few servers. One of the servers I'm
using has slurm installed as cluster resource manager that I use to test
jobs, but when I `salloc -w <node>` eshell falls back to dumb terminal
behavior.

Is there a way I can have eshell trigger a term when I run the command, or
better yet keep using eshell with a resource manager like slurm or torque?

A second smaller question, I'm also relooking at my prompt and would like
to access the current hostname similar to the user-login-name variable. Is
there an equivalent or should I parse the eshell/pwd?

Thanks for any help!

-Tim

* Re: eshell/tramp slurm use case
@ 2018-10-04  8:33 ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2018-10-04  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Ransom; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Ransom <ransomtim8078@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello emacs people,

Hi Tim,

> I like to use eshell on my local machine, and that is going great. I will
> also use it and tramp to do things on a few servers. One of the servers I'm
> using has slurm installed as cluster resource manager that I use to test
> jobs, but when I `salloc -w <node>` eshell falls back to dumb terminal
> behavior.
>
> Is there a way I can have eshell trigger a term when I run the command, or
> better yet keep using eshell with a resource manager like slurm or torque?

Neither I don't know slurm in detail, nor I do run a slurm installation
for testing. However, maybe it would help to add "salloc" to
`eshell-visual-commands'.

> A second smaller question, I'm also relooking at my prompt and would like
> to access the current hostname similar to the user-login-name variable. Is
> there an equivalent or should I parse the eshell/pwd?

See `eshell-prompt-function'. You might be able to write your own prompt
function. For remote directories, use (file-remote-p default-directory 'host)
and (file-remote-p default-directory 'user)

> Thanks for any help!
>
> -Tim

Best regards, Michael.