all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Python docstring folding
@ 2018-11-20 17:45 Rock Storm
From: Rock Storm @ 2018-11-20 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I'm new to Emacs and I'm trying to use it (among other things) as an
IDE for Python development. However I'm struggling with code
folding. I installed 'outline-magic' [1]. Which works great but it
doesn't fold docstrings. This is something that should be addressed in
'python-mode' right? I can't be the first one to stumble across
this. What am I missing? Is there an easy way to achieve docstring
folding? Or should I be using other folding package?

 [1]: https://github.com/tj64/outline-magic

Thanks a lot,
--
Rock Storm
GPG KeyID: 4096R/C96832FD

* RE: Python docstring folding
@ 2018-11-20 18:12 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2018-11-20 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rock Storm, help-gnu-emacs

> I'm struggling with code folding. I installed
> 'outline-magic'. Which works great but it doesn't
> fold docstrings... Is there an easy way to achieve
> docstring folding?

What do you mean by folding doc strings?  What do you
want that it doesn't do?

If you just want to toggle whether doc strings (only)
are hidden, see this:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2018-11/msg00115.html

* Re: Python docstring folding
@ 2018-11-20 19:16   ` Rock Storm
From: Rock Storm @ 2018-11-20 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 10:12:03AM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
> > I'm struggling with code folding. I installed
> > 'outline-magic'. Which works great but it doesn't
> > fold docstrings... Is there an easy way to achieve
> > docstring folding?
>
> What do you mean by folding doc strings?  What do you
> want that it doesn't do?

The behaviour I was expecting would be something similar to what this
plugin does [1].

 [1]: https://github.com/alecthomas/SublimeFoldPythonDocstrings

> If you just want to toggle whether doc strings (only)
> are hidden, see this:
>
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2018-11/msg00115.html

Thanks a lot for the hint. I'll try that. However, isn't there a less
complicated way of doing it? Is it so uncommon? How did Python
developers live before you provided them with this? :P

Thanks again,
--

@ 2018-11-26 17:04     ` Tomas Nordin
From: Tomas Nordin @ 2018-11-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rock Storm; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rock Storm <rockstorm@gmx.com> writes:

> On Tue, Nov 20, 2018 at 10:12:03AM -0800, Drew Adams wrote:
>> > I'm struggling with code folding. I installed
>> > 'outline-magic'. Which works great but it doesn't
>> > fold docstrings... Is there an easy way to achieve
>> > docstring folding?
>>
>> What do you mean by folding doc strings?  What do you
>> want that it doesn't do?
>
> The behaviour I was expecting would be something similar to what this
> plugin does [1].
>
>  [1]: https://github.com/alecthomas/SublimeFoldPythonDocstrings
>
>> If you just want to toggle whether doc strings (only)
>> are hidden, see this:
>>
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2018-11/msg00115.html
>
> Thanks a lot for the hint. I'll try that. However, isn't there a less
> complicated way of doing it? Is it so uncommon? How did Python
> developers live before you provided them with this? :P

If it is OK to "simply" split windows maybe this is less complicated to
install:

(defun tn-split-window-signature-on-top (&optional numlines)
  "Split window at point leaving minimum 2 lines of defun beginning on top"
  (interactive "p")
  (let ((start-pos (point))
        (start-line (line-number-at-pos))
        (toplines (if (> numlines 1) numlines 2)))
    (beginning-of-defun)
    (split-window-below (1+ toplines))
    (window-resize nil (- toplines (window-body-height)))
    (recenter 0)
    (other-window 1)
    (goto-char start-pos)
    (recenter 0)))

Should work with any function understood as a defun. You can control how
much of the beginning of the defun to show with a numeric prefix
argument (like C-u). I find it comfortable that point will remain on its
current position in the lower window (at the moment you forgot about
arguments).

Best regards
--
Tomas