(BTW I'm sorry I made a .gif and not a .png. Animation was not strictly required here, but I don't know the keybindings to make simple screenshots on this computer.) >> > What is the purpose of highlighting other parts of >> > the candidates? >> >> For a matching style such as flex or substring (as you would find in >> many other editors) it's important to visually explain users to users >> why certain strings that don't start with the pattern they entered >> are being shown on the screen. I attach an image. > > I don't see why it's important to explain how did the completion > algorithm arrive at a particular candidate. The completion algorithm > is there to intuit what we mean in the most efficient way, but the > details of how it does that are immaterial. The only ones who may be > interested are those who study completion algorithms ;-) I may sound like a completion scholar to you, but you also sound like you haven't experimented with 'flex' for more than 1 second, otherwise you wouldn't be asking that question ;-) . So I attach another Emacs -Q gif, crippled-flex.gif, where you see the current problem, and yet another gif, useful-flex.gif, where the matching part is highlighted bold.