Benjamin Slade writes: > Hi Michael, Hi Benjamin, >> I don't know why `auth-source-search' needs to expand ".". Could it >> be, that it is part of your `exec-path'? > > It turns out my $PATH variable had an 'empty' field > (e.g. =/usr/local/bin::/home/slade/.guix-profile/bin=), > eliminating that fixed the tramp issue I described in the bug > report. (it's interesting that this only manifested was 27+) An empty entry in $PATH is taken as `default-directory', implemented as "." in `exec-path'. And this is a problem, if `call-process' searches for the gpg command, and `default-directory' is remote. I have no idea why this problem has uncovered in Emacs 27 only, though. You have fixed it yourself I guess. But since it happens also for other people, could you pls check whether the appended patch would have solved it for you, keeping the empty field in your $PATH? > [There is still an issue with the =em-tramp= package on Emacs 27+, > which causes a complete lock-up (i.e. C-g won't work), but that > should likely be a separate bug report.] Please do. > best wishes, > —Ben Best regards, Michael.