Hi Eli, Eli Zaretskii writes: > Amin, why was this pushed to the emacs-27 branch? Is this a bug fix, > and if so, is it safe and/or urgent enough to be put on the release > branch? > > Thanks. > Indeed, the two changes address an annoyance/shortcoming myself and some other ERC users had noticed, but I don't think they were reported on bugs.gnu.org. The changes are rather simple and I believe safe enough for the release branch: they both simply refactor out the implementation into similarly named internal functions, and provide a new variant that uses `switch-to-buffer-other-window' rather than `switch-to-buffer'. I think the changes are simple yet useful enough to be in emacs-27; though in hindsight, the master branch may have been a better place for them. That said, if you or others spot any issues with them, I'd be more than happy to try and address them, or even revert them if needed. As a side note, I will be looking into making ERC available on GNU ELPA so that addition of new features and/or bug fixes wouldn't require having to run the latest Emacs release or trunk.