Hello! For some time, I've been a little dissatisfied with the support for C# in emacs. Recently, there has been some breakage in handling of strings and fontification, more precisely: - https://github.com/josteink/csharp-mode/issues/162 Also, it is using a lot of internal c-mode functions: - https://github.com/josteink/csharp-mode/issues/162 I've had some discussions with with the current maintainer, Jostein Kjønigsen (cc'd) about the future of this mode in https://github.com/josteink/csharp-mode/issues/162. Some points of note: - It cannot easily be donated to emacs due to paperwork - Jostein does not have time to do it himself - I took upon myself to rewrite it in a separate branch, as an end goal for it to be included in emacs While working on this, I realized the easiest way to get something good here is to overall reduce the complexity. As such I created this patch. It seems to work nicely, removing the need for the external mode completely. However, I see that including csharp here is most likely a bigger effort than just sending this patch, but I wanted to send what I have, and hopefully get some pointers. Or in worst case stop before I go too far.. This patch is written without consulting the current mode, so paperwork should not be an issue. In addition, the current mode has an implementation of imenu rewritten from scratch by Jostein, and as such I think this can be included as well. I tried not to do too much, since I believe most of the advanced functionality should be provided by an lsp mode such as eglot or lsp-mode. Have a nice day! Theodor Thornhill