Suppose my buffer contains the text "x1yx2" right after point, and that `isearch-del-char' is bound to DEL in Isearch mode. If I type C-s y DEL x1 then I would expect the search to succeed: the cursor would first go after "y", then return to the starting point of search after pressing DEL – this is how `isearch-delete-char' behaves, anyway. Instead, the cursor remains after "y" after pressing DEL, and the search fails with the cursor after the second "x". I have attached a patch to fix this. I have also attached a second trivial patch for an unrelated, very tiny bug. Best, Augusto