Philip Kaludercic writes: > Yuchen Pei writes: > >> Hello, >> >> I notice some glaring omissions of modes supporting major / >> popular >> languages like php, haskell and wikitext in Emacs, though there >> are >> widely used versions available externally as packages. > > See the thread "Re: NonGNU ELPA work" from today: I submitted > patches > for NonGNU ELPA, the repository that has been enabled for Emacs > 28+, > adding new major modes, so that they can be installed without > any > further configuration. I'm aware of NonGNU ELPA and use it, thanks for adding packages there. But I'm not sure it can substitute Emacs itself. > >> I feel it is important that Emacs support these languages >> natively. > > Why natively? With packages like gnu-elpa, the user can be > notified when > a major mode exists for a file they have opened. The advantage > is that > bug-fixes and improvements are not tied to Emacs releases but > can happen > concurrently. The disadvantage is that it requires an internet > connection. This makes sense. But does this mean if I want to add new language modes it should go to GNU ELPA rather than Emacs itself? > >> What is the process of adding these modes? My understanding >> is: >> >> 1. Ask the maintainer of a mode to contribute the mode to >> Emacs. > > And any significant contributor have to sign the FSF copyright > agreement. I acknowledge this could be a reason why some packages don't make their way to GNU ELPA or Emacs, but it shouldn't be a reason why new modes satisfying the criteria shouldn't be added to GNU ELPA or Emacs. > >> 2. If for some reason the maintainer is unable or unwilling to >> add the >> mode, someone writes the mode and contribute to Emacs. >> >> In step 2, is it conventional to add the mode to GNU ELPA >> first, >> before moving it into Emacs itself? >> >> I am asking because I am interested in working on some of these >> modes. -- Best, Yuchen PGP Key: 47F9 D050 1E11 8879 9040 4941 2126 7E93 EF86 DFD0