Lars Ingebrigtsen writes: > Akib Azmain Turja writes: > >> IIUC, Emacs sends SIGHUP (from kill_buffer_processes in process.c) to >> all child processes to kill them just before exiting (or restarting), >> and Tor uses that signal as the reload signal. > > [...] > >> How can a process resist being killed? SIGKILL is lethal, always. Why >> kill-emacs sends SIGHUP while kill-process and delete-process sends >> SIGKILL? > > Because we want processes started by Emacs to be allowed to shut down > gracefully upon Emacs exit, but with explicit `kill-process', we don't > care about that as much. > > So the problem here is that you're starting a process that responds to > SIGHUP by not shutting down, and I don't think there's anything we can > do on the Emacs side to help with that. Perhaps you can write a wrapper > script that does the right thing on HUP. > > But I don't think there's anything to be done on the Emacs side here, so > I'm closing this bug report. > > > Why there is nothing to do? Emacs can "wait" on the child when it exits, or it might disown it. -- Akib Azmain Turja Find me on Mastodon at @akib@hostux.social. This message is signed by me with my GnuPG key. Its fingerprint is: 7001 8CE5 819F 17A3 BBA6 66AF E74F 0EFA 922A E7F5