all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* [BUG] columnview result depends on org-tags-match-list-sublevels [9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-03-21 14:28 Martin Jambor
From: Martin Jambor @ 2023-03-21 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

I have found out that whether sub-headers are included in a columnview
table depends on org-tags-match-list-sublevels which I hope is a bug
because it is unexpected and interferes with the columnview
configuration.

Please have a look at the attached file which demonstrates the problem.

No configuration necessary, the bug manifests itself when emacs is
executed with -Q.  I was able to observe this with Org mode version
9.5.5 bundled with openSUSE Emacs 28.2 (when invoked as emacs -Q) but
not with Org mode version 9.3 bundled with Emacs 27.1 bundled with
debian bullseye.

Thank you very much for looking at this, please consider CCing me when
discussing the issue because I am not subscribed to the org-mode list.

Martin Jambor

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 28.2 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.35, cairo version 1.17.6)
Package: Org mode version 9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/org/)

[-- Attachment #2: test.org --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 1033 bytes --]

#+TITLE:Test for org-tags-match-list-sublevels bug

Use M-x set-variable to set org-tags-match-list-sublevels to nil and
then position the cursor over the BEGIN columnview line and press C-c C-c.
Three lines corresponding to sub-headers of the table will disappear.

I was able to observe this with Org mode version 9.5.5 bundled with
openSUSE Emacs 28.2 (when invoked as emacs -Q) but not with Org mode
version 9.3 bundled with Emacs 27.1 bundled with debian bullseye.

* Header 1
:PROPERTIES:
:COLUMNS:  %40ITEM(Name) %NUM(Number) %2TIME(Time){+}
:ID:       some_tasklist
:END:
#+BEGIN: columnview :hlines 1 :id "some_tasklist" :maxlevel 3 :indent nil
| Name     | Number | Time |
|----------+--------+------|
| Header 1 |        |   20 |
| First    |      1 |    5 |
| Second   |      2 |    5 |
| Third    |      3 |   10 |
#+END:
** First
:PROPERTIES:
:NUM:      1
:TIME:     5
:END:
Stuff
** Second
:PROPERTIES:
:NUM:      2
:TIME:     5
:END:
More stuff
** Third
:PROPERTIES:
:NUM:      3
:TIME:     10
:END:
even more stuff

* Re: [BUG] columnview result depends on org-tags-match-list-sublevels [9.5.5 (release_9.5.5 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.2/lisp/org/)]
@ 2023-03-28 10:22 ` Ihor Radchenko
From: Ihor Radchenko @ 2023-03-28 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jambor; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Martin Jambor <mjambor@suse.cz> writes:

> I have found out that whether sub-headers are included in a columnview
> table depends on org-tags-match-list-sublevels which I hope is a bug
> because it is unexpected and interferes with the columnview
> configuration.

Yes, it does affect columnview and anything that uses tag matching.

Please do not use this variable.
As the docstring of `org-tags-match-list-sublevels' states:

 This variable is semi-obsolete and probably should always be true.  It
 is better to limit inheritance to certain tags using the variables
 org-use-tag-inheritance and org-tags-exclude-from-inheritance.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,