all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-05-31 23:27 Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-05-31 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi here,

In Emacs, I use Vertico + consult to do the in-buffer and minibuffer
search and bind
bound the command `consult-line' to M-s l.

What puzzles me is that this cannot let me search for an exact word.
For example, if I want to sear all the occurrences of the word `id',
the result obtained is shown in the attached file, which obviously is
not what I want.

How to achieve my goal based on Vertico + consult for utilizing the
more intuitive minibuffer display?

Regards,
Zhao
--
Assoc. Prof. Hongsheng Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
Theory and Simulation of Materials

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 171979 bytes --]

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-01  6:50 ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2023-06-01  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

> In Emacs, I use Vertico + consult to do the in-buffer and minibuffer
> search and bind bound the command `consult-line' to M-s l.
>
> What puzzles me is that this cannot let me search for an exact word.
> For example, if I want to sear all the occurrences of the word `id',
> the result obtained is shown in the attached file, which obviously is
> not what I want.
>
> How to achieve my goal based on Vertico + consult for utilizing the
> more intuitive minibuffer display?

I don't use consult myself but I guess the search string is a regular
expression.  So when you want to search for an exact word, use \bid\b to
find all occurrences of the word id.

See (info "(elisp) Regexp Backslash") for details:

‘\b’
     matches the empty string, but only at the beginning or end of a
     word.  Thus, ‘\bfoo\b’ matches any occurrence of ‘foo’ as a
     separate word.  ‘\bballs?\b’ matches ‘ball’ or ‘balls’ as a
     separate word.

     ‘\b’ matches at the beginning or end of the buffer (or string)
     regardless of what text appears next to it.

HTH,
Tassilo

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-01  7:36   ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-06-01  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 2:54 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > In Emacs, I use Vertico + consult to do the in-buffer and minibuffer
> > search and bind bound the command `consult-line' to M-s l.
> >
> > What puzzles me is that this cannot let me search for an exact word.
> > For example, if I want to sear all the occurrences of the word `id',
> > the result obtained is shown in the attached file, which obviously is
> > not what I want.
> >
> > How to achieve my goal based on Vertico + consult for utilizing the
> > more intuitive minibuffer display?
>
> I don't use consult myself but I guess the search string is a regular
> expression.  So when you want to search for an exact word, use \bid\b to
> find all occurrences of the word id.

I've tried this trick, but it cannot match the results like `$id$', as
shown in the attached screenshot, from where you can see that the
entry indexed by the circle numbered 1 doesn't appear in the
minibuffer's matching list.

> See (info "(elisp) Regexp Backslash") for details:

> ‘\b’
>      matches the empty string, but only at the beginning or end of a
>      word.  Thus, ‘\bfoo\b’ matches any occurrence of ‘foo’ as a
>      separate word.  ‘\bballs?\b’ matches ‘ball’ or ‘balls’ as a
>      separate word.
>
>      ‘\b’ matches at the beginning or end of the buffer (or string)
>      regardless of what text appears next to it.
>
> HTH,
> Tassilo

Regards,
Zhao

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 310052 bytes --]

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-01  9:47     ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2023-06-01  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

>> I don't use consult myself but I guess the search string is a regular
>> expression.  So when you want to search for an exact word, use \bid\b
>> to find all occurrences of the word id.
>
> I've tried this trick, but it cannot match the results like `$id$', as
> shown in the attached screenshot, from where you can see that the
> entry indexed by the circle numbered 1 doesn't appear in the
> minibuffer's matching list.

That's because $ is a word-character in the syntax-table of the mode you
are using in that buffer.  You can try
\([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\)id\([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\) which should also find $id$ and
1id02.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-01  9:59       ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-06-01  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Jun 1, 2023 at 5:52 PM Tassilo Horn <tsdh@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:
>
> >> I don't use consult myself but I guess the search string is a regular
> >> expression.  So when you want to search for an exact word, use \bid\b
> >> to find all occurrences of the word id.
> >
> > I've tried this trick, but it cannot match the results like `$id$', as
> > shown in the attached screenshot, from where you can see that the
> > entry indexed by the circle numbered 1 doesn't appear in the
> > minibuffer's matching list.
>
> That's because $ is a word-character in the syntax-table of the mode you
> are using in that buffer.  You can try
> \([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\)id\([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\) which should also find $id$ and
> 1id02.

Yes. This works, as shown in the attached screenshot. But the input is
rather cumbersome. Are there more efficient/concise regexp patterns
for this goal?

> Bye,
> Tassilo

Regards,
Zhao

[-- Attachment #2: image.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 220060 bytes --]

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-01 18:45         ` Tassilo Horn
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2023-06-01 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hongyi Zhao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com> writes:

>> That's because $ is a word-character in the syntax-table of the mode
>> you are using in that buffer.  You can try
>> \([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\)id\([^a-zA-Z]\|\b\) which should also find $id$ and
>> 1id02.
>
> Yes. This works, as shown in the attached screenshot. But the input is
> rather cumbersome. Are there more efficient/concise regexp patterns
> for this goal?

Well, \bid\b should be enough, actually.  I don't understand why it
seems like the $s in $id$ in your latex buffer have word syntax.  I've
just tried both the stock latex-mode and AUCTeX and with both the $s
don't have word syntax.

Could you please put point on such a $ and report the output of M-x
describe-char RET?  I'm mostly interested in the line

  syntax: $ 	which means: math

which might be

  syntax: w 	which means: word

on your side for whatever reason.

Also, please try if regexp isearch works as expected, i.e., C-u C-s
\bid\b should also find the id in $id$.  If you both have $ in math
syntax and isearch works but consult doesn't, then I'd ask at the
consult community.

Bye,
Tassilo

* Re: Use Vertico + consult to do the search for an exact word.
@ 2023-06-02  1:53           ` Hongyi Zhao
From: Hongyi Zhao @ 2023-06-02  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tassilo Horn; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs