all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* the «inverse» function of join-lines
@ 2023-10-24  9:25 Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2023-10-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I am not sure that the term inverse is here very appropriate, but I
can't come with another term.

Here is the problem. Suppose you have text like this

             this is important blabla
         but we also want

So I want to obtain

             this is important blabla but we also want

The easiest way of doing it, is to put the cursor on b of but and run
joint-line (which is an alias for delete-indentation)

However most of the time my cursor is on a in blabla, if I then run
kill-line I obtain

             this is important blabla          but we also want

And I need to run delete-horizontal-space.

If I define
(defun my-join-line-from-above ()
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (kill-line nil)
    (delete-horizontal-space nil)))

And use it I end up
             this is important blablabut we also want

So I wonder is there a function that does what I want, and is a bit more
sophisticated then what I cooked up?

Thanks

Uwe Brauer

--
Warning: Content may be disturbing to some audiences
I strongly condemn Hamas bestialic terroristic attack on Israel, especially the despicable pogroms.