all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* buffer list sequence
@ 2023-11-05  3:30 Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-11-05  3:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

when i do delete-other-windows, soimetims i wasnt to go to the bufeer
iwhose window i  just deelted .  but i dont knoww hwat it is.

i'[d like for it to be in the buffer list right next tot the current
buffer so i can just do prev or next buffer.

sometimes it is not there.  there is fancy burying or special cases of
*buffer* and maybe more things like that [certainly also with "
buffer"].

* Re: buffer list sequence
@ 2023-11-10 13:34 ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2023-11-10 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Wales wrote:

> when i do delete-other-windows, soimetims i wasnt to go to the bufeer
> iwhose window i  just deelted .  but i dont knoww hwat it is.

If it's the last buffer you were in before switching to the current one,
it'll be next in the list.

> i'[d like for it to be in the buffer list right next tot the current
> buffer so i can just do prev or next buffer.

The previous buffer will be last one you buried.

> sometimes it is not there.  there is fancy burying or special cases of
> *buffer* and maybe more things like that [certainly also with "
> buffer"].

You'll probably have to customize/advice `delete-other-windows' to do
one of the above, if you want it consistently.

* Re: buffer list sequence
@ 2023-11-10 23:17   ` Samuel Wales
From: Samuel Wales @ 2023-11-10 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Thomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

thanks.

do you maen visit all other windows?  or bury them?  ugh.

apropos of nothing, in old code [i am less capable of coding now]
sometimes i do (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer)) which sometimes
fixes buffer liust problems.  i do not know why as it looks like it
should be a no-op but i ahve no idea.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com

* Re: buffer list sequence
@ 2023-11-12  9:07     ` James Thomas
From: James Thomas @ 2023-11-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Wales; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Samuel Wales wrote:

> apropos of nothing, in old code [i am less capable of coding now]
> sometimes i do (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer)) which sometimes
> fixes buffer liust problems.  i do not know why as it looks like it
> should be a no-op but i ahve no idea.

One reason I can think of for that is if a `switch-to-buffer' somewhere
used the NORECORD option. Your code would undo that.

You should also read (info "(elisp) Buffer List")