all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-26  3:19 Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-26  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hello,

I try to connect to an IRC server, with ERC, but I have a problem to make
it use my password saved in ~/.authinfo.

In my .emacs/init.el, I have defined this interactive function to
connect to Libera.chat with ERC:

(defun erc-mememememe@libera.chat ()
  "Log on freenode with mememememe user"
  (interactive)
  (erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat"
           :port 6697
           :nick "mememememe")
  )

On my ~/.authinfo.gpg file, I have an entry for Libera.ch server, with
my nickname:

machine irc.libera.chat login mememememe password…

But when I run the function "erc-mememememe@libera.chat", ERC connect
without my password.

I didn't found any specific information on the manual about why. My
Emacs version is 29.3.

Someone have an idea ?

Best regards

-------
Gendre Sébastien

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-26  9:14 ` Zaichuan Du
From: Zaichuan Du @ 2024-05-26  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 26 May 2024, Sébastien Gendre wrote:

Hi,

You will have to retrieve password by setting the :password key, like this

#+begin_src elisp
(erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat"
	 :port 6697
	 :nick "mememememe"
	 :password (auth-source-pick-first-password :host "irc.libera.chat"))
#+end_src

--
Zaichuan

* Re: ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-26 20:17 ` J.P.
From: J.P. @ 2024-05-26 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-erc

Hi Sébastien,

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I try to connect to an IRC server, with ERC, but I have a problem to make
> it use my password saved in ~/.authinfo.
>
> In my .emacs/init.el, I have defined this interactive function to
> connect to Libera.chat with ERC:
>
> (defun erc-mememememe@libera.chat ()
>   "Log on freenode with mememememe user"
>   (interactive)
>   (erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat"
>            :port 6697
>            :nick "mememememe")
>   )
>
> On my ~/.authinfo.gpg file, I have an entry for Libera.ch server, with
> my nickname:
>
> machine irc.libera.chat login mememememe password…
>
> But when I run the function "erc-mememememe@libera.chat", ERC connect
> without my password.
>
> I didn't found any specific information on the manual about why. My
> Emacs version is 29.3.
>
> Someone have an idea?

I tried a similar setup with Emacs 29 (21b2954c) and cannot reproduce
your issue.

Contents of ~/.authinfo:

  machine irc.libera.chat user mynick password mypass

From emacs -Q:

  M-: (erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat" :port 6697 :nick "mynick") RET

Please try again from emacs -Q, maybe with a temporary ~/.authsource
(with and without the .gpg). And when reporting back, please mention the
contents of the relevant buffers, if any. And maybe also eval

  (require 'erc)
  (erc-toggle-debug-irc-protocol)

prior to connecting, and then check the *erc-protocol* buffer for clues
afterwards. Be sure to restart Emacs whenever you tweak ~/.authsource to
ensure you're not hitting the cache. And if you haven't already, see the
suggestions in the troubleshooting portion of the manual [1].

Thanks,
J.P.

P.S. In an effort to spare the good people of this list from excessive
ERC chatter, perhaps consider replacing the help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org with
emacs-erc@gnu.org in the Cc of any further related correspondences.

[1] https://elpa.gnu.org/devel/doc/erc.html#Troubleshooting-1

* Re: ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-27  3:15   ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-27  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zaichuan Du; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

I tried to set the password, like you say, but the result is the same:
Erc still logging without password.

The message in the minibuffer even say: "Logging in without password".

Zaichuan Du <duzaichuan@hotmail.com> writes:

> On 26 May 2024, Sébastien Gendre wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> You will have to retrieve password by setting the :password key, like this
>
> #+begin_src elisp
> (erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat"
> 	 :port 6697
> 	 :nick "mememememe"
> 	 :password (auth-source-pick-first-password :host "irc.libera.chat"))
> #+end_src
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I try to connect to an IRC server, with ERC, but I have a problem to make
>> it use my password saved in ~/.authinfo.
>>

>> In my .emacs/init.el, I have defined this interactive function to
>> connect to Libera.chat with ERC:
>>

>> (defun erc-mememememe@libera.chat ()
>>   "Log on freenode with mememememe user"
>>   (interactive)
>>   (erc-tls :server "irc.libera.chat"
>>            :port 6697
>>            :nick "mememememe")
>>   )
>>

>> On my ~/.authinfo.gpg file, I have an entry for Libera.ch server, with
>> my nickname:
>>

>> machine irc.libera.chat login mememememe password…
>>

>> But when I run the function "erc-mememememe@libera.chat", ERC connect
>> without my password.
>>
>> I didn't found any specific information on the manual about why. My
>> Emacs version is 29.3.
>>
>> Someone have an idea ?
>>

>> Best regards
>>
>> -------
>> Gendre Sébastien

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>

* Re: ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-27  3:21   ` Sébastien Gendre
From: Sébastien Gendre @ 2024-05-27  3:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: J.P.; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-erc

Hi,

I modified my ~/.authconfig.gpg file to add the IRC server port in the
entry for my password and then restart Emacs. Since this, it work.

So, for a reason I ignore, Emacs was not reading ~/authinfo.gpg and
I cannot reproduce it.

@ 2024-05-27  4:15     ` J.P.
From: J.P. @ 2024-05-27  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, emacs-erc

Sébastien Gendre <seb@k-7.ch> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I modified my ~/.authconfig.gpg file to add the IRC server port in the
> entry for my password and then restart Emacs. Since this, it work.

That's interesting, thanks. Someone else recently reported failed
lookups (with a different backend) when a stored entry lacks a port
field. Sadly, they couldn't provide an exact recipe.

> So, for a reason I ignore, Emacs was not reading ~/authinfo.gpg and
> I cannot reproduce it.

If you do come up with a way to reliably reproduce this, please open a
bug report with M-x erc-bug RET.

* Re: ERC do not use my password from authinfo
@ 2024-05-27  8:04     ` Zaichuan Du
From: Zaichuan Du @ 2024-05-27  8:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sébastien Gendre; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org, emacs-erc

My fault. I did not notice there is already an integration between ERC
and auth-source. The :password keyword is not a must. But I cannot
reproduce your issue either.