all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* please explain diff bet. K&R and Linux c-mode styles
@ 2002-10-25 23:55 seberino
From: seberino @ 2002-10-25 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: kheb

Linux kernel docs recommend K&R c-mode style...

then what is "Linux c-mode style"?? How is it different?

chris
--
_______________________________________

Dr. Christian Seberino
SPAWAR Systems Center San Diego
Code 2363
49590 Lassing Road, Room A339
San Diego, CA 92152-6147
U.S.A.

Phone: (619) 553-7940
Fax:   (619) 553-1269
Email: seberino@spawar.navy.mil
_______________________________________

* Re: please explain diff bet. K&R and Linux c-mode styles
       [not found] <mailman.1035590178.16479.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-26  3:26 ` Matt Armstrong
From: Matt Armstrong @ 2002-10-26  3:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1035590178.16479.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
seberino@spawar.navy.mil wrote:
> Linux kernel docs recommend K&R c-mode style...
>
> then what is "Linux c-mode style"?? How is it different?

C-h v c-style-alist

That'll show you all the styles in their gory detail.

--
matt

* Re: please explain diff bet. K&R and Linux c-mode styles
@ 2002-10-29  0:37   ` seberino
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1035851913.4061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                     ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: seberino @ 2002-10-29  0:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I tried your command... there was no function or
variable called c-style-alist in Emacs. :(

CS

_______________________________________

@ 2002-10-29  2:33     ` Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz
From: Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz @ 2002-10-29  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

seberino@spawar.navy.mil writes:

> I tried your command... there was no function or
> variable called c-style-alist in Emacs. :(
Being in a cc-mode buffer?

--
Edgar Antonio Luna Díaz - http://www.gnulinux.org.mx
Key Fingerprint=C008 5EAC 5272 AC8C 7589  4821 8B34 6166 8733 8310

* Re: please explain diff bet. K&R and Linux c-mode styles
@ 2002-10-29 13:28     ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-10-29 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't see a c-style-alist either.  Check out
http://www.science.uva.nl/~mes/jargon/i/indentstyle.html
I think Linux style is the same as GNU style. You could
also just type in a few functions and see the fundamental
differences.

@ 2002-10-29 13:55       ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2002-10-29 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   I think Linux style is the same as GNU style. You could
   also just type in a few functions and see the fundamental
   differences.

Linux style and GNU style are completely different.  The coding style
that is used in Linux looks similar to K&R.  The main difference
between Linux and K&R style is that Linux uses TAB characters to
indent where as K&R uses four spaces.

The GNU Coding Standard describes the GNU style
(http://www.gnu.org/pre/standards.html), and the file
Documentation/CodingStyle in the source code for Linux described the
Linux style.

if statements:
GNU style          Linux style         K&R style

if (foobar)        if (foobar) {       if (foobar) {
  {                        foo;            foo;
    foo;           }                   }
  }

functions:
GNU style         Linux style          K&R style

int
foobar (void)     int foobar (void)    int foobar (void)
{                 {                    {
  return 1;               return 1;        return 1;
}                 }                    }

* Emacs Lisp: Problem with nested condition-case and catch in byte compiled code
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1035851913.4061.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-15  2:54   ` Greg Hill
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1037661783.25741.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-11-15  2:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: stan

This one has me stumped.

Here is my source code:

(defun cctest ()
   (interactive)
   (catch 'cctest
     (message "before condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
	     (interactive-p))
     (condition-case nil
	(message "inside condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
		(interactive-p))
       (error nil))
     (message "after condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
	     (interactive-p)))

   (message "before condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
	   (interactive-p))
   (condition-case nil
       (message "inside condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
	       (interactive-p))
     (error nil))
   (message "after condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = %s"
	   (interactive-p))

   (condition-case nil
       (progn
	(message "before catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = %s"
		(interactive-p))
	(catch 'cctest
	  (message "inside catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = %s"
		   (interactive-p)))
	(message "after catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = %s"
		(interactive-p)))
     (error nil)))

If I load the .el source file and execute cctest interactively, I get:

before condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = t
inside condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = t
after condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = t
before condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
inside condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
after condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
before catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = t
inside catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = t
after catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = t

If I byte compile, load the .elc, and execute cctest interactively, I get:

before condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = t
inside condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = nil
after condition-case in catch, (interactive-p) = t
before condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
inside condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
after condition-case after catch, (interactive-p) = t
before catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = t
inside catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = nil
after catch in condition-case, (interactive-p) = t

There seems to be something special about a call to (interactive-p)
inside a condition-case inside a catch, or inside a catch inside a
condition-case, in byte-compiled code.  But for the life of me I
can't imagine what that could be.  Anybody have any ideas?

--Greg

* Re: Emacs Lisp: Problem with nested condition-case and catch in byte  compiled code
@ 2002-11-15 18:22     ` Greg Hill
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1037661783.25741.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-11-15 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

A bit more experimentation shows that nesting a catch inside a catch
or a condition-case inside a condition-case causes the same problem.

I'm beginning to think I must have stumbled across a bug in either
the byte compiler or the byte-code interpreter.

--Greg

@ 2002-11-19  0:08       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-19  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

> A bit more experimentation shows that nesting a catch inside a catch or
> a condition-case inside a condition-case causes the same problem.
> I'm beginning to think I must have stumbled across a bug in either the byte
> compiler or the byte-code interpreter.

Or more likely in the `interactive-p' function which does a lot of ad-hoc
parsing of the call-stack and is thus susceptible to funny things.

* Re: Emacs Lisp: Problem with nested condition-case and catch in byte  compiled code
@ 2002-11-19  2:47         ` Greg Hill
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-11-19  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan,

As you surmised, it turned out to be a bug in the interactive-p
function, where it checks to see whether it is executing
byte-compiled code.  I submitted a formal bug report, and Richard
Stallman promptly sent me a patch that fixes the problem.  I assume
that when he is entirely comfortable with it, he will make the patch
generally available.

--Greg

At 7:08 PM -0500 11/18/02, Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com wrote:
>  >>>>> "Greg" == Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:
>>  A bit more experimentation shows that nesting a catch inside a catch or
>>  a condition-case inside a condition-case causes the same problem.
>>  I'm beginning to think I must have stumbled across a bug in either the byte
>>  compiler or the byte-code interpreter.
>
>Or more likely in the `interactive-p' function which does a lot of ad-hoc
>parsing of the call-stack and is thus susceptible to funny things.
>

>         Stefan

* Lisp: Functions for multiple comparisons
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-11-20 21:14   ` Greg Hill
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037827276.893.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-11-20 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am aware of the built-in functions memq and member.  But what I
really want is a pair of special forms that work more like 'or and
'and.  The first argument would be compared against all of the rest
using either 'eq or 'equal, returning 't if any match was found.

For example, a special form using an 'eq comarison might be named
'meq and be called like:

	(meq (char-syntax (following-char)) ?w ?_)

instead of using

	(memq (char-syntax (following-char) '(?w ?_)))
or
	(or (eq (char-syntax (following-char)) ?w) (eq (char-syntax
(following-char)) ?_))
or
	(let ((syntax (char-syntax (following-char)))) (or (eq syntax
?w) (eq syntax ?_)))

Is there already something like that that I simply am not yet aware
of?  If not, am I wrong in thinking that the kind of special forms I
am imagining would be computationally more efficient than any of the
alternatives shown above?

--Greg

* Re: Lisp: Functions for multiple comparisons
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037827276.893.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-20 23:03     ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 	(meq (char-syntax (following-char)) ?w ?_)
> instead of using
> 	(memq (char-syntax (following-char) '(?w ?_)))

memq is pretty fast given the general slowness of the elisp interpreter.
If you really care about the few extra chars, then you can of course do

   (defun meq (x &rest xs) (memq x xs))

although I honestly don't see the point.

* Re: Lisp: Functions for multiple comparisons
@ 2002-11-21 19:56       ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2002-11-21 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:

> > 	(meq (char-syntax (following-char)) ?w ?_)
> > instead of using
> > 	(memq (char-syntax (following-char) '(?w ?_)))
>
> memq is pretty fast given the general slowness of the elisp interpreter.
> If you really care about the few extra chars, then you can of course do
>
>    (defun meq (x &rest xs) (memq x xs))
>
> although I honestly don't see the point.
>

>         Stefan

Perhaps avoiding cutting too much:

Greg Hill <ghill@synergymicro.com> writes:

> I am aware of the built-in functions memq and member.  But what I
> really want is a pair of special forms that work more like 'or and
> 'and.  The first argument would be compared against all of the rest
> using either 'eq or 'equal, returning 't if any match was found.

So, Greg  wants a special form like  'or or 'and.  That  is, with lazy
evaluation of the remaining arguments!

(defmacro meq (key &rest values)
  `(let ((meq_key    ,key)
         (meq_values ',values))
    (while (and meq_values (not (eq meq_key (eval (car meq_values)))))
      (setq meq_values (cdr meq_values)))
    meq_values))

(show (macroexpand (quote (meq 12  (+ 9 1) (+ 10 2) (length (make-vector 1e9)) 13))))

==> (let ((meq_key 12) (meq_values (quote ((+ 9 1) (+ 10 2) (length (make-vector 1000000000.0)) 13)))) (while (and meq_values (not (eq meq_key (eval (car meq_values))))) (setq meq_values (cdr meq_values))) meq_values)

(show (meq 12  (+ 9 1) (+ 10 2) (length (make-vector 1e9)) 13))

==> ((+ 10 2) (length (make-vector 1000000000.0)) 13)

But of course, it you only  use lists of constants like '(?w ?_), it's
better to use memq which is a primitive.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not

* Index of element in a sequence
                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037827276.893.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-27 19:07   ` Greg Hill
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1038424169.3933.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Hill @ 2002-11-27 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Are there any built-in functions that provide the equivalent of the
following lisp routines?

(defun indq (value seq)
   "Return the index number of VALUE in sequence SEQ, using eq for test.
Return nil if VALUE does not exist in SEQ."
   (let ((ix 0) (len (length seq)))
     (catch 'indq
       (while (< ix len)
	(if (eq (elt seq ix) value)
	    (throw 'indq ix)
	  (setq ix (1+ ix)) ) ) ) ))

(defun index (value seq)
   "Return the index number of VALUE in sequence SEQ, using equal for test.
Return nil if VALUE does not exist in SEQ."
   (let ((ix 0) (len (length seq)))
     (catch 'index
       (while (< ix len)
	(if (equal (elt seq ix) value)
	    (throw 'index ix)
	  (setq ix (1+ ix)) ) ) ) ))

--Greg

* Re: Index of element in a sequence
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1038424169.3933.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-27 19:23     ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-27 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1038424169.3933.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Greg Hill  <ghill@synergymicro.com> wrote:
>Are there any built-in functions that provide the equivalent of the
>following lisp routines?

The 'position' function can be loaded with (require 'cl).

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA