all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hyper & super in Emacs 21 in terminal?
       [not found] <E19pjE4-0002Ax-4j@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-22  4:30 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.791.1061601295.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-08-22  4:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

In a terminal-bound Emacs, C-x @ h seems to have a meaning but no
effect. Is this correct?  Is there no way to use hyper and super in an
Emacs in a terminal?

Joe

* Re: hyper & super in Emacs 21 in terminal?
       [not found] ` <mailman.791.1061601295.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-23  3:10   ` John Paul Wallington
From: John Paul Wallington @ 2003-08-23  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> wrote:

> In a terminal-bound Emacs, C-x @ h seems to have a meaning but no
> effect. Is this correct?  Is there no way to use hyper and super in an
> Emacs in a terminal?

There basically aren't any default keybindings with those modifiers
(perhaps the only exception is the CUA library that can be told to use
Hyper).  But you can define your own, eg:

(global-set-key [(hyper g)] 'goto-line)

* Re: hyper & super in Emacs 21 in terminal?
       [not found] <E19qV3W-0002cn-AD@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-24  2:06 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.853.1061693016.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-08-24  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> (global-set-key [(hyper g)] 'goto-line)

Cool, thanks.

I had been mislead by trying (global-set-key [H-a] 'run-gcl) -- which
just produced a beep.  (I saw this syntax advertised on the web
somewhere.)

Can you or anyone perhaps suggest a more economical "binding" than the
default:

(define-key function-key-map [?\C-x ?@ ?h] 'event-apply-hyper-modifier)

I'm looking for something that has just one keypress associated with it.
Like F8 or something like that - but I don't know the syntax for
entering F8 as an ASCII keysequence recognizable to Emacs.

@ 2003-08-24 17:18   ` David Andersson
From: David Andersson @ 2003-08-24 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli <jcorneli@math.utexas.edu> writes:

> > (global-set-key [(hyper g)] 'goto-line)
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
> Can you or anyone perhaps suggest a more economical "binding" than the
> default:
>
> (define-key function-key-map [?\C-x ?@ ?h] 'event-apply-hyper-modifier)
>
> I'm looking for something that has just one keypress associated with it.
> Like F8 or something like that - but I don't know the syntax for
> entering F8 as an ASCII keysequence recognizable to Emacs.

Type  C-q f8  in the *scratch* buffer.
That should insert the ESC sequence, if it is a --no-window emacs.
Replace ^[ with \e.

(define-key function-key-map "\e[19~" 'event-apply-hyper-modifier)

@ 2003-08-25 17:48   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-25 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli wrote:

> I had been mislead by trying (global-set-key [H-a] 'run-gcl) -- which
> just produced a beep.  (I saw this syntax advertised on the web
> somewhere.)

Try evaluating each of these in the *scratch* buffer:

[H-a]
[?\H-a]
"?\H-a"
(kbd "H-a")

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: hyper & super in Emacs 21 in terminal?
       [not found] <E19rNm0-0003Fw-9T@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-08-26  2:32 ` Joe Corneli
       [not found] ` <mailman.996.1061865523.29551.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-08-26  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Try evaluating each of these in the *scratch* buffer:

> [H-a]
             [H-a]
> [?\H-a]
             [16777313]
> "?\H-a"
             (error "Invalid modifier in string")
> (kbd "H-a")
             [16777313]

Interesting...  keeping the other questions aside for the moment, what
does 16777313 mean to you?

@ 2003-08-26 17:20   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-08-26 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Joe Corneli wrote:

>>Try evaluating each of these in the *scratch* buffer:
>>

>>[H-a]
>>
>              [H-a]
>
>>[?\H-a]
>>
>              [16777313]
>
>>"?\H-a"
>>
>              (error "Invalid modifier in string")
>
>>(kbd "H-a")
>>
>              [16777313]
>
> Interesting...  keeping the other questions aside for the moment, what
> does 16777313 mean to you?

Nothing, it is just Emacs' internal code for Hyper-a.  It may even
differ across platforms, which is why you want to use one of the more
readable forms.

--
Kevin Rodgers