all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .emacs file missing!?
@ 2004-10-29 11:49 JS
From: JS @ 2004-10-29 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to make mosml work under emacs, but I have to edit my .emacs
file to do this. But I can't find the .emacs file anywhere! I have just
downloaded and installed the latest version of emacs 21.3

Hope somone can help!

Yours
Johs

* Re: .emacs file missing!?
@ 2004-10-29 12:31 ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2004-10-29 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

> I am trying to make mosml work under emacs, but I have to edit my .emacs
> file to do this. But I can't find the .emacs file anywhere! I have just
> downloaded and installed the latest version of emacs 21.3

After you start emacs, type Control-x Control-f (the find-file
command) and then enter ~/.emacs as the filename...that will take you
to the right file every time.
--
Benjamin Rutt

* Re: .emacs file missing!?
@ 2004-10-29 12:33 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2004-10-29 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Have you created one yet?  The .emacs file is a file that YOU make in your $HOME directory.  It does not automatically exist.

JS <dsa.@asdf.com> wrote:I am trying to make mosml work under emacs, but I have to edit my .emacs

       [not found] <mailman.5964.1099053694.2017.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-10-29 13:23 ` JS
From: JS @ 2004-10-29 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just made one by chosing "Open File" and then I typed .emacs! Was that it?

I have some troble getting Mosml to work in the emacs that comes with Unbuntu, could someone help?

@ 2004-10-29 16:28 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-10-29 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

> I am trying to make mosml work under emacs, but I have to edit my
> .emacs file to do this. But I can't find the .emacs file anywhere! I
> have just downloaded and installed the latest version of emacs 21.3

Have you created it yet?  Your .emacs file is the basic configuration
file for Emacs and is kept in your home directory.

You can take the tutorial and read the Emacs FAQ under the Help menu
which will teach you a lot about Emacs.  If you prefer, you can find
much of this information on the Web:

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/emacs.html

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text

http://www.emacswiki.org/

* Re: .emacs file missing!?
@ 2004-10-29 16:51   ` Benjamin Rutt
From: Benjamin Rutt @ 2004-10-29 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"JS" <dsa.@asdf.com> writes:

> I have just made one by chosing "Open File" and then I typed .emacs! Was that
> it?

You should have typed C-x C-f ~/.emacs...that would be guaranteed to work.
--
Benjamin Rutt