all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RCS in emacs, where is the RCS?
@ 2005-11-28 11:22 casioculture
From: casioculture @ 2005-11-28 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm a newbie, on windows.

I'm using gnu emacs and I just tried the VC command C-x v v and it VCed
with RCS eventhough I spent some time installing CVSNT on this windows
machine. Had I known I wouldn't have bothered with CVS.

Did RCS come with the fullbin emacs i downloaded?  Either that, or it
must've been the one that came with cygwin. Which was it?

* Re: RCS in emacs, where is the RCS?
@ 2005-11-28 19:30 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-11-28 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

casioculture@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm a newbie, on windows.
>
> I'm using gnu emacs and I just tried the VC command C-x v v and it VCed
> with RCS eventhough I spent some time installing CVSNT on this windows
> machine. Had I known I wouldn't have bothered with CVS.

Was the file you were visiting already checked in to RCS?  Did the
mode line indicate that by displaying "RCS" followed by the version
number?

> Did RCS come with the fullbin emacs i downloaded?  Either that, or it
> must've been the one that came with cygwin. Which was it?

Sorry, I'm on Unix and can't help with those questions.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: RCS in emacs, where is the RCS?
@ 2005-12-01  4:47 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-12-01  4:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm using gnu emacs and I just tried the VC command C-x v v and it VCed
> with RCS eventhough I spent some time installing CVSNT on this windows
> machine.  Had I known I wouldn't have bothered with CVS.

You need to read some of CVS doc to see how it's used.  Then you can also
read the VC part of the online Emacs manual, where it'll tell you how to use
CVS with VC.