all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-23 14:00 Viktor Haag
From: Viktor Haag @ 2006-03-23 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

It appears that the 22.x maintainers have decided that letting the SPC
key complete filenames in the minibuffer is a bad idea, so they no
longer bind it to minibuffer-complete-word whn entering a filename into
the minibuffer.

After years and years of having my fingers trained to do this, I would
really like to switch back to the old way of doing things: in my world,
spaces in file and directory names happen /way/ less often than wanting
to use the SPC key for word completion when entering filenames.

Can anyone give advice on how to go re-invent the old behaviour given
the new changes that have been made to the way the minibuffer works now
(apparently a couple new keymaps have been created around this issue?
I'm not very familiar with how keymaps work, I'm afraid...)?

If anyone can help it would really save me some time and hassle --
thanks!

--
Viktor Haag

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-23 14:18 ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-23 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Viktor Haag" <viktor.haag@gmail.com> writes:

> If anyone can help it would really save me some time and hassle --
> thanks!

This is documented in the Emacs FAQ (C-h C-f).

--
Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> | The sea! the sea! the open
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | sea! The blue, the fresh, the

@ 2006-03-23 18:14 ` drobinow
From: drobinow @ 2006-03-23 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

This is what I've got:
      ;; restore natural meaning of SPC in minibuffer to revert goofy
change
      (define-key minibuffer-local-filename-completion-map " "
'minibuffer-complete-word)
      (define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-filename-map " "
'minibuffer-complete-word)

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-24  9:29 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2006-03-24  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: "Viktor Haag" <viktor.haag@gmail.com>
> Date: 23 Mar 2006 06:00:48 -0800
>
> It appears that the 22.x maintainers have decided that letting the SPC
> key complete filenames in the minibuffer is a bad idea, so they no
> longer bind it to minibuffer-complete-word whn entering a filename into
> the minibuffer.

Yes, because more and more people and systems are using file names
with embedded spaces.

> Can anyone give advice on how to go re-invent the old behaviour given
> the new changes that have been made to the way the minibuffer works now
> (apparently a couple new keymaps have been created around this issue?
> I'm not very familiar with how keymaps work, I'm afraid...)?
>
> If anyone can help it would really save me some time and hassle --
> thanks!

Please read the NEWS file (search for "SPC"), it explains how to do
that.

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-24 14:45   ` Viktor Haag
From: Viktor Haag @ 2006-03-24 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks -- I had a brief look, but didn't see it. And there it is, right
in front of my face.

::sigh::

v.

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-25  5:17   ` Jim Smith
From: Jim Smith @ 2006-03-25  5:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Romain Francoise <romain@orebokech.com> writes:

> "Viktor Haag" <viktor.haag@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> If anyone can help it would really save me some time and hassle --
>> thanks!
>
> This is documented in the Emacs FAQ (C-h C-f).

Where in the FAQ is this?  I can't seem to find it.

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-25 11:54     ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2006-03-25 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jim Smith <3.141592six@gmail.com> writes:

> Where in the FAQ is this?  I can't seem to find it.

(info "(efaq)SPC no longer completes file names")

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: SPC no longer completes in minibuffer?
@ 2006-03-25 11:55     ` Romain Francoise
From: Romain Francoise @ 2006-03-25 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)