all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-23 17:17 Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2006-04-23 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Often we do M-x compile or M-x grep, and then a lot of next-error (C-x `).
Well, if during those lots of next-error, we do delete-other-windows (C-x 1)
to get a nice big full window, upon the next next-error, we are forced
to accept having to share our window with the *grep* or *compilation*
buffer again, for no good reason.  Then best we can do is use
enlarge-window, but not to the max, else the *grep* or *compile*
window will come back for its 50% next time we do next-error.
emacs-version "21.4.1"

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-24 22:23 ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-24 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dan Jacobson <jidanni@jidanni.org> writes:

> Often we do M-x compile or M-x grep, and then a lot of next-error (C-x `).
> Well, if during those lots of next-error, we do delete-other-windows (C-x 1)
> to get a nice big full window, upon the next next-error, we are forced
> to accept having to share our window with the *grep* or *compilation*
> buffer again, for no good reason.  Then best we can do is use
> enlarge-window, but not to the max, else the *grep* or *compile*
> window will come back for its 50% next time we do next-error.
> emacs-version "21.4.1"

Dan,

FWIW, I agree with you. I don't know if Emacs 22 provides any relief.

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-24 22:49   ` Kim F. Storm
From: Kim F. Storm @ 2006-04-24 22:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jidanni

Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:

> FWIW, I agree with you. I don't know if Emacs 22 provides any relief.

(setq grep-window-height 5)

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-24 23:12     ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-24 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs, jidanni

Kim F. Storm <no-spam@cua.dk> wrote:

> Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
>
> > FWIW, I agree with you. I don't know if Emacs 22 provides any relief.
>
> (setq grep-window-height 5)

Thanks for the aspirin, Kim ;-). It would still be great if next-error
didn't insist on making the window visible.

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-25 17:54       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-25 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler wrote:
> Kim F. Storm <no-spam@cua.dk> wrote:
> > Bill Wohler <wohler@newt.com> writes:
> > > FWIW, I agree with you. I don't know if Emacs 22 provides any relief.
> >
> > (setq grep-window-height 5)
>
> Thanks for the aspirin, Kim ;-). It would still be great if next-error
> didn't insist on making the window visible.

What happens if you try:

(setq special-display-buffer-names
       (cons '("*grep*" ignore)
	    special-display-buffer-names))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Sr. Software Engineer, IHS

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-25 23:13         ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-25 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Bill Wohler wrote:
>> Kim F. Storm <no-spam@cua.dk> wrote:
>> >
>> > (setq grep-window-height 5)
>>
>> Thanks for the aspirin, Kim ;-). It would still be great if next-error
>> didn't insist on making the window visible.
>
> What happens if you try:
>
> (setq special-display-buffer-names
>       (cons '("*grep*" ignore)
> 	    special-display-buffer-names))

Worse! With that code you either get:

  compilation-set-window-height: Wrong type argument: window-live-p, nil

Or if you s/ignore/'ignore/, then you get a separate frame that
occludes your work!

Thanks for an intriguing suggestion, though.

Note that the error isn't with grep, it's with next-error.

* Re: next-error insists on split windows
@ 2006-04-26 17:04           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-04-26 17:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bill Wohler wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> Bill Wohler wrote:
>>> Thanks for the aspirin, Kim ;-). It would still be great if next-error
>>> didn't insist on making the window visible.
>> What happens if you try:
>>
>> (setq special-display-buffer-names
>>       (cons '("*grep*" ignore)
>> 	    special-display-buffer-names))
>
> Worse! With that code you either get:
>
>   compilation-set-window-height: Wrong type argument: window-live-p, nil

That makes sense, since the buffer was not actually displayed it has no
window.  Should compilation-set-window-height or the calls to it check
window-live-p instead of assuming the buffer has been displayed?

> Or if you s/ignore/'ignore/, then you get a separate frame that
> occludes your work!

Right, 'ignore is just (quote ignore), which is interpreted as setting
the special frame's quote parameter to ignore.

> Thanks for an intriguing suggestion, though.
>
> Note that the error isn't with grep, it's with next-error.

So M-x compile and M-x grep ought to display the *compilation* and
*grep* buffers, but next-error and previous-error shouldn't.  Does
advising them to preserve the window configuration do what you want:

(defadvice next-error (around save-window-excursion activate)
   "Preserve the current window configuration."
   (save-window-excursion
     ad-do-it))

(defadvice previous-error (around save-window-excursion activate)

@ 2006-04-27 15:15             ` Bill Wohler
From: Bill Wohler @ 2006-04-27 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> So M-x compile and M-x grep ought to display the *compilation* and
> *grep* buffers, but next-error and previous-error shouldn't.  Does
> advising them to preserve the window configuration do what you want:
>
> (defadvice next-error (around save-window-excursion activate)
>   "Preserve the current window configuration."
>   (save-window-excursion
>     ad-do-it))

It's a bit too strong since if the buffer with the next error isn't
current visible, you won't see it.