all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Newbie questions
@ 2006-12-24 16:00 ocelot1970
From: ocelot1970 @ 2006-12-24 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have just started exploring emacs and elisp. Ergo, I have some
questions.

1) Is there a way to see what a keyboard shortcut is currently bound
to? Before I write my own programs making my own, I want to make sure
I'm not unbinding something really important.

2) Is there a way to see a list of all functions that can possible be
bound to keymappings, the list of files they appear in, and their
descriptions?

3) Are there any key combos with meta and ctrl that are not allowed
when creating my own key bindings? Any reason why I wouldn't use C-q,
C-w, C-e, etc. just go through the keyboard and use what's not used yet?

* Newbie Questions
@ 2009-07-09 20:37 Andrew M. Nuxoll
From: Andrew M. Nuxoll @ 2009-07-09 20:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Ok, newb here.  I have only been using org-mode for a few days now.  But
I've been an emacs guy since 1992, I have read the manual and I've also
searched the archive of this mailing list.  So, forgive me if these
questions are repeats.  Also, Dominick said you had to be nice to me
while he was away.

1.  When I view my agenda for a day it displays TODO items twice if they
are both SCHEDULED and DEADLINEd (a common occurrence for me).  Can this
be avoided?  Here's a generic example snippet from my agenda:
    Thursday    9 July 2009
      nux:        Scheduled:  TODO [#B] Call Mary :PROJECT::
      nux:        In   1 d.:  TODO [#B] Call Mary :PROJECT::

2.  Once a TODO item has been marked as DONE, it still shows up on my
agenda.  Can this be avoided?

Meta-Comments on Questions 1&2:  I realize I have the option of using
the "ToDo Items" agenda view instead of the day/week agenda view but
that doesn't work for me because I use the SCHEDULED property as a way
of selecting a small subset of tasks for the day from a long list of
TODO items.  I also rely heavily upon repeating tasks to automate most
of this.  So maybe the solution to #1 and #2 is to use a custom agenda
of some sort but I don't see an obvious way to create one that does what
I want.

3.  Once I set a deadline for a task, it'd be nice if the priority would
increase as the deadline approached.  Ideally the  criteria for
increasing the priority could be specified via a customizable formula.
Does this functionality (or anything like it) exist?

Thanks,
:AMN:

* newbie questions
@ 2009-04-06 11:04 Stathis Sideris
From: Stathis Sideris @ 2009-04-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hello all,

I'm new to org mode (the bundling of ditaa made me aware of its
existence!), and having recently converted a relatively large volume
of notes from freemind, I'm now giving org mode a serious test drive.

I have three questions:

(1) Is there any way to make the column placement of org-ellipsis
consistent? It seems that the presence of tags in headings cause
org-ellipsis to be placed in the right-hand side which makes it easier
to miss when looking at an outline.

(2) Is there any way to make org-cycle skip the "show all" mode? That
would make it to just collapse/expand the children of the current
heading.

(3) Are there any plans to implement persistent tree expansion? For
example, it could be that org mode would somehow remember which
headings were expanded when you were last using an org file. Or being
able to go back to the previous state after you've created a sparse
tree using C-c /.

Thanks,

Stathis

[parent not found: <mailman.2542.1076996903.928.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* newbie questions
@ 2004-02-17  5:46 niDapeng
From: niDapeng @ 2004-02-17  5:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, I am very fresh to emacs, using emacs 21.3.1 Windows Version. Some questions:
1.C-M-v can scroll down text in another screen, but how to scroll up those text?
2.C-k will kill line to end text to killing ring. how to just "delete" text instead of "killing". Furthermore, how to "delete" block text (relative to C-W "kill" block text)?
3.I want to use C-P,C-N to scroll screen-line instead of physical line(text line), I tried some *.el extension. but they didn't work well. For instance, screen-lines.el will add new blank line when using C-n, and other *.el stop move when using C-n. Strangely, C-p ususally works well. Could some guys do so successfully in same version emacs?
4.Calendar can't work, error message is "Invalid read syntax:". in worng context"

best,
DapengNi

ÍæÓÎÏ·Ó®ÊýÂëÏà»ú¡¢MP3¡¢UÅÌ
http://mail.21cn.com/huodong/0310/