all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using EMMS on Debian Testing
@ 2007-05-02 18:53 Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, all...

So since I do pretty much all of my computer tasks in Emacs
(except for the occasional foray into xterm/gnu screen land
and/or browsing the occasional poorly-designed website in
Iceweasel), I am a big fan of EMMS. My secondary (non-Emacs)
OS is Debian Testing (Lenny). However, the version in the
Debian repositories is quite out of date (without importing
code from later versions, it can't even do things like
delete files from the cache), since I believe it's
officially been orphaned. So I did a darcs checkout of the
updated source for EMMS from the official website. But here,
too, I run into problems:  for reasons unknown (to me),
neither emms-info-libtag nor emms-info-ogginfo seem to work
when I play new files for the first time (and yes, I did
make sure that they had the proper tags). So this leaves me
using the old version since I really don't want to go in and
try to edit the cache file myself. Does anybody have any
idea what's going on here? I'd really like to use the
up-to-date version, but really don't want all of my albums
lumped under "misc" in the browser.

Any help is much appreciated.

Amy

* Re: Using EMMS on Debian Testing
@ 2007-05-05 13:09 ` David Hansen
From: David Hansen @ 2007-05-05 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:53:33 -0400 Amy Templeton wrote:

> I run into problems:  for reasons unknown (to me),
> neither emms-info-libtag nor emms-info-ogginfo seem to work
> when I play new files for the first time (and yes, I did
> make sure that they had the proper tags).

Did you "make emms-print-metadata" and put the binary
`emms-print-metadata' somewhere into your $PATH?

You'll need libtagc0-dev (at that's how it's called on unstable) to
compile `emms-print-metadata'.

David

* Re: Using EMMS on Debian Testing [solved]
@ 2007-05-05 14:25   ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-05 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Hansen wrote:
> On Wed, 02 May 2007 14:53:33 -0400 Amy Templeton wrote:

> > I run into problems:  for reasons unknown (to me),
> > neither emms-info-libtag nor emms-info-ogginfo seem to work
> > when I play new files for the first time (and yes, I did
> > make sure that they had the proper tags).

> Did you "make emms-print-metadata" and put the binary
> `emms-print-metadata' somewhere into your $PATH?

> You'll need libtagc0-dev (at that's how it's called on unstable) to
> compile `emms-print-metadata'.

Well, thank you! That did it (I already had the right
dev libraries installed, as well). I guess I should've read
the manual better.

Thank you for your help.

@ 2007-05-15  1:54 ` Michael Olson
From: Michael Olson @ 2007-05-15  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Amy Templeton <amy.g.templeton@gmail.com> writes:

> [snip] However, the version in the Debian repositories is quite out
> of date (without importing code from later versions, it can't even
> do things like delete files from the cache), since I believe it's
> officially been orphaned.

Yeah, the Debian package for EMMS is orphaned.  I would like to
maintain it, but I have yet to find a sponsor.  I may end up only
maintaining the Ubuntu package, because the criteria for uploading
there is less strenuous.

--
Michael Olson -- FSF Associate Member #652 -- http://www.mwolson.org/
Interests: Lisp, text markup, protocols -- Jabber: mwolson_at_hcoop.net

* Re: Using EMMS on Debian Testing
@ 2007-05-19 16:35   ` Amy Templeton
From: Amy Templeton @ 2007-05-19 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Olson <mwolson@gnu.org> wrote:
> the Debian package for EMMS is orphaned. I would like to maintain
> it, but I have yet to find a sponsor. I may end up only
> maintaining the Ubuntu package, because the criteria for
> uploading there is less strenuous.

Ah, well good luck! Sounds like a good plan.

Amy

P.S.:  Sorry to wait forever and then briefly revive a dead thread
       for a quick response, but gnus put this message in an
       unexpected place (I need to check my .gnus and figure out
       why) and I didn't get it until today. Whoops.

--
If you are a fatalist, what can you do about it?
                -- Ann Edwards-Duff