all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* File-specific cc-mode settings
@ 2007-08-22 19:37 Alexander Kotelnikov
From: Alexander Kotelnikov @ 2007-08-22 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I have cc-mode configuration which suits my needs, but for certain
files I'd like to get specific settings. So what I tried was putting

/*
Local Variables:
mode:c
c-style-java: t
End:
*/

in the end of such file and

(setq c-style-java nil)
(setq safe-local-variable-values '((c-style-java . t)) )

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
          '(lambda ()
             (if c-style-java
                 (progn
                   (c-set-style "java")
                   (message "java")
                   )
               (message "not java")
               )
             )
          )
to ~/.emacs

But is does not help (I think, due to c-style-java is buffer local and
c-mode-hook is processed in another context, I see "not java" in
*Messages* buffer).

Is there a way to achieve the result I want?

Alexander Kotelnikov
Saint-Petersburg, Russia

* Re: File-specific cc-mode settings
       [not found] <mailman.5135.1187812509.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-08-23  8:24 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2007-08-23  8:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alexander Kotelnikov <sacha@myxomop.com> writes:

> I have cc-mode configuration which suits my needs, but for certain
> files I'd like to get specific settings. So what I tried was putting
>
> /*
> Local Variables:
> mode:c
> c-style-java: t
> End:
> */

(info "(ccmode)File Styles")

   -- Variable: c-file-style
        Set this variable to a style name string in the Local Variables
       list.  From now on, when you visit the file, CC Mode will
       automatically set the file's style to this one using `c-set-style'.

(The java style is used by default for *.java files, btw.)

> But is does not help (I think, due to c-style-java is buffer local and
> c-mode-hook is processed in another context, I see "not java" in
> *Messages* buffer).

The mode is set before processing file local variables, so
`c-style-java' has the old value at this point.

(CC mode uses hack-local-variables-hook to set the style from
c-file-style.)

--
Johan Bockgård