all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* #'clrhash always returns nil
@ 2008-01-25  9:34 Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2008-01-25  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English, because the Emacs maintainers do not have
translators to read other languages for them.

and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

In GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit)
 of 2004-03-22 on cm-test
configured using `configure  --prefix=/usr --bindir=/usr/bin --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/sbin --localstatedir=/var --datadir=/usr/share --infodir=/usr/share/info --mandir=/usr/share/man --without-toolkit-scroll-bars'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

In this emacs:

  (clrhash (make-hash-table))
  => nil

In Common Lisp, as documented here: http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Body/f_clrhas.htm#clrhash

  (clrhash (make-hash-table))
  => #<EQL hash-table with 0 entries @ #x71735f42>

In XEmacs:

  (clrhash (make-hash-table))
  => #<hash-table size 0/29 0x54e994>

Is the GNU behaviour an oversight? It seems needlessly incompatible.

Recent input:
ESC x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g RET

Recent messages:
(emacs-21.2)
For information about the GNU Project and its goals, type C-h C-p.

¿Dónde estará ahora mi sobrino Yoghurtu Nghé, que tuvo que huir
precipitadamente de la aldea por culpa de la escasez de rinocerontes?

* Re: #'clrhash always returns nil
@ 2008-01-25 10:03 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-01-25 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aidan Kehoe; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

() Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
() Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:34:38 +0100

   In XEmacs:

     (clrhash (make-hash-table))
     => #<hash-table size 0/29 0x54e994>

   Is the GNU behaviour an oversight?
   It seems needlessly incompatible.

Probably oversight; i have changed `clrhash' to return TABLE for
Emacs 23.  I will refrain from changing it in Emacs 22 unless
someone can convince me such "compatibility change" is considered
a "bugfix".

thi

* Re: #'clrhash always returns nil
@ 2008-01-25 11:29   ` Aidan Kehoe
From: Aidan Kehoe @ 2008-01-25 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

 Ar an cúigiú lá is fiche de mí Eanair, scríobh Thien-Thi Nguyen:

 > Probably oversight; i have changed `clrhash' to return TABLE for
 > Emacs 23.  I will refrain from changing it in Emacs 22 unless
 > someone can convince me such "compatibility change" is considered
 > a "bugfix".

Thank you! It might also be nice to document the return value of #'puthash
in its docstring.

--

@ 2008-01-26 15:59   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2008-01-26 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thien-Thi Nguyen; +Cc: kehoea, bug-gnu-emacs

    Probably oversight; i have changed `clrhash' to return TABLE for
    Emacs 23.  I will refrain from changing it in Emacs 22 unless
    someone can convince me such "compatibility change" is considered
    a "bugfix".

It is a bug fix.  The bug is minor, but the fix is safe, so may as
well fix it.

* Re: #'clrhash always returns nil
@ 2008-01-26 16:59     ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-01-26 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: kehoea, bug-gnu-emacs

() Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
() Sat, 26 Jan 2008 10:59:23 -0500

   It is a bug fix.  The bug is minor, but the fix is safe,
   so may as well fix it.

thanks for the clarification.  now installed on EMACS_22_BASE.

thi