all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-11 15:50 Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2008-02-11 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dear all,

I'm using Emacs 22 on Debian.  After upgrading from Emacs 21, I get
the error

   Error while loading 50dictionaries-common

What to do?

Ulrich

This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll
bars)
 of 2007-12-15 on noname, modified by Debian

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-12 10:47 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.7333.1202821518.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-12 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.02.2008 um 16:50 schrieb Ulrich Scholz:

>    Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
>
> What to do?

You could try to launch GNU Emacs with

	 --eval '(setq debug-on-error t)'

or launch it with --no-site-file and then load 50dictionaries-
common.el as a library. This might create other problems since the
debian files before 50dictionaries-common.el are not loaded then. So
it might be best to load a long series of libraries ...

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Die Zeit wird kommen, da unsere Nachkommen sich wundern werden, wie
wir so wunderbare Dinge einfach gewusst haben konnten.
                         (Ein Optimist nach Lucius Annæus Seneca)

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-12 13:05 ` Bastien Guerry
       [not found] ` <mailman.7333.1202821518.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bastien Guerry @ 2008-02-12 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d5@thispla.net> writes:

> Dear all,
>
> I'm using Emacs 22 on Debian.  After upgrading from Emacs 21, I get
> the error
>
>    Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
>
> What to do?

Maybe you can make sure that you're adding all relevant directories to
your load-path - this will do:

(mapcar '(lambda (f)
	   (and (not (string= (substring f -3) "/.."))
		(file-directory-p f)
		(add-to-list 'load-path f)))
	(directory-files "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp" t))

(mapcar '(lambda (f)
	   (and (not (string= (substring f -3) "/.."))
		(file-directory-p f)
		(add-to-list 'load-path f)))
	(directory-files "/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp" t))

--
Bastien

@ 2008-02-12 17:02   ` Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2008-02-12 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks, but your suggestion did not help.  I still get the same error.

Ulrich

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-12 18:55     ` Steve Taylor
From: Steve Taylor @ 2008-02-12 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d5@thispla.net> writes:

> Thanks, but your suggestion did not help.  I still get the same error.
>
> Ulrich

If you are using Debian GNU/Linux with the dictionaries-common
package, the latest update I got confirms the need to (require
'ispell)

/usr/share/doc/dictionaries-common/NEWS.Debian.gz

dictionaries-common (0.62.0) unstable; urgency=low

  * ispell-dictionary-alist is no longer expected to be customized.
    Please use ispell-local-dictionary-alist instead. This will
    also work with emacs-snapshot.

*** ispell.el will no longer be loaded on emacs startup. If for
    any reason you need that, you have to force that behavior from
    your emacs initialization files.

  * Read /usr/share/doc/dictionaries-common/README.emacs for more
    details on any of the above items.

 -- Agustin Martin Domingo <agmartin@debian.org>  Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:28:44 +0200

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-12 22:34     ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-02-12 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d5@thispla.net> writes:

> Thanks, but your suggestion did not help.  I still get the same error.
>
> Ulrich

1. Try starting emacs with --debug-init

if that doesn't give you a backtrace that gives you some more info to
debug the problem, try

2. After starting emacs, load the file and do M-x eval-buffer. That
should give you a backtrace (make sure you have debug on error turned on
- set it in the options menu or M-x toggle-debug-on-error

this should give you a backtrace which will give you morre information
on what is going wrong.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-15 11:25       ` Ulrich Scholz
From: Ulrich Scholz @ 2008-02-15 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I solved the problem by putting

(setq load-path (append (list "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-
common") load-path))

into my .emacs

This directory contains ispell.el.  The hell knows why this is
necessary.

Thanks,

Ulrich

* Re: Error while loading 50dictionaries-common
@ 2008-02-15 18:43         ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-15 18:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ulrich Scholz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ulrich Scholz <d5@thispla.net> writes:

> I solved the problem by putting
>
> (setq load-path (append (list "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-
> common") load-path))
>
> into my .emacs
>
> This directory contains ispell.el.  The hell knows why this is
> necessary.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ulrich

You can also write:
(add-to-list 'load-path
             "/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/dictionaries-common" t)

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu