all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Mac OS X load path
@ 2008-02-18 14:07 Dmitrijs Ledkovs
From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs @ 2008-02-18 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.

I have tried pre-built carbon emacs, Aquamacs Emacs and Emacs.App, but
I did not like that I cannot customise them fully.

So I have successfully compiled carbon emacs and installed it
(overriding system emacs, yeah save space, no modified OS, oh well.)

Everything is ok. Until I got to the stage of installing additional
packages (modes) and trying to make them work.

If I do "locale emacs" in terminal it points me to several places.

/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
/usr/share/22.1/site-lisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
/usr/local/share/emacs/22.1/site-lisp

I don't understand why there is same directory tree in /usr/share and /
usr/ocal/share.

Also I don't understand why do I have 4 site-lisp directories.

Where and how am I suppose to install everything. And how to identify
where everything is installed to reduce my emacs installation.

installed auctex configure&make&make install, do load auctex.el it
says it can't find it although it is in usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex

With regards,

Dmitrijs Ledkovs.

* Re: Mac OS X load path
       [not found] <mailman.7590.1203361262.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-18 19:18 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-02-18 19:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Mac OS X load path
@ 2008-02-18 19:43 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.7593.1203363157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-02-18 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrijs Ledkovs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I have tried pre-built carbon emacs, Aquamacs Emacs and Emacs.App, but
> I did not like that I cannot customise them fully.
>
> So I have successfully compiled carbon emacs and installed it
> (overriding system emacs, yeah save space, no modified OS, oh well.)
>
> Everything is ok. Until I got to the stage of installing additional
> packages (modes) and trying to make them work.
>
> If I do "locale emacs" in terminal it points me to several places.
>
> /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp
> /usr/share/22.1/site-lisp
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp
> /usr/local/share/emacs/22.1/site-lisp
>
> I don't understand why there is same directory tree in /usr/share and
> /
> usr/ocal/share.
>
> Also I don't understand why do I have 4 site-lisp directories.
>
> Where and how am I suppose to install everything. And how to identify
> where everything is installed to reduce my emacs installation.
>
> installed auctex configure&make&make install, do load auctex.el it
> says it can't find it although it is in
> usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex

Add to your .emacs
(add-to-list 'load-path "usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex")
(require 'auctex) ;; or (load "auctex.el")

--
A + Thierry
Pub key: http://pgp.mit.edu

* Re: Mac OS X load path
       [not found] ` <mailman.7593.1203363157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-18 19:48   ` Ralf Angeli
From: Ralf Angeli @ 2008-02-18 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Thierry Volpiatto (2008-02-18) writes:

> Add to your .emacs
> (add-to-list 'load-path "usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/auctex")
> (require 'auctex) ;; or (load "auctex.el")

Please stop making such suggestions.  You are just making the life of
AUCTeX maintainers harder.

`load-path' is already taken care of by AUCTeX when tex-site.el is
loaded (via auctex.el).  And requiring `auctex' is also erroneous
because the file auctex.el does not provide the feature `auctex'.

The AUCTeX installation procedure usually picks a location in
`load-path' for auctex.el, so there must be something else wrong here.
My guess would be a bad interaction with the original Emacs
installation.

--
Ralf

* Re: Mac OS X load path
       [not found] ` <mailman.7593.1203363157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-18 19:52   ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2008-02-18 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Mac OS X load path
       [not found] ` <mailman.7593.1203363157.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-18 23:10 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-18 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrijs Ledkovs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.02.2008 um 15:07 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

> I don't understand why there is same directory tree in /usr/share
> and /usr/ocal/share.
>
> Also I don't understand why do I have 4 site-lisp directories.

Because you've overwritten Apple's GNU Emacs 21.2 and you've
installed some 22.1 version.

I advertise /Library/Application\ Support/Emacs, which somehow has to
do with how Mac OS X handles extras, i.e. "Application Support" via --
enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs at
configuration time. If you don't want to use this extra directory,
then check the value of load-path. Could be your Emacsen share one
directory like /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.

--
Greetings

   Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

* Re: Mac OS X load path
@ 2008-02-19  0:56   ` Dmitrijs Ledkovs
From: Dmitrijs Ledkovs @ 2008-02-19  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've read all possible solutions.

And it doesn't work.

My question is now is how do I uninstall both emacs (apple's and
compiled) from my system. And then do a clean install so that I will
now for sure where what is and suppose to go to and load from.

Ideal of having Emacs in Application Support is appealing to me,
because I want to keep things structured OS X style =D.

With regards,

Dmitrijs.

On 18 Feb 2008, at 23:10, Peter Dyballa wrote:

Am 18.02.2008 um 15:07 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

> I don't understand why there is same directory tree in /usr/share
> and /usr/ocal/share.
>
> Also I don't understand why do I have 4 site-lisp directories.

Because you've overwritten Apple's GNU Emacs 21.2 and you've installed
some 22.1 version.

I advertise /Library/Application\ Support/Emacs, which somehow has to
do with how Mac OS X handles extras, i.e. "Application Support" via --
enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs at
configuration time. If you don't want to use this extra directory,
then check the value of load-path. Could be your Emacsen share one
directory like /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp.

--
Greetings

  Pete

To most people solutions mean finding the answers. But to chemists
solutions
are things that are still all mixed up.

* Re: Mac OS X load path
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-02-19  2:47 ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2008-02-19  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dmitrijs Ledkovs <dmitrij.ledkov@gmail.com> writes:

> So I have successfully compiled carbon emacs and installed it
> (overriding system emacs, yeah save space, no modified OS, oh well.)
>
> Everything is ok. Until I got to the stage of installing additional
> packages (modes) and trying to make them work.

I think overriding system stuffs is always a bad idea, since it may make
things messy.  Thus, it is a good idea to install it them just under
$HOME instead, namely, pass `--prefix=$HOME' when `configure'.

--
William

* Re: Mac OS X load path
@ 2008-02-19 10:02     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-19 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrijs Ledkovs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 19.02.2008 um 01:56 schrieb Dmitrijs Ledkovs:

> My question is now is how do I uninstall both emacs (apple's and
> compiled) from my system.

There is no sense in wiping Apple's old Emacs. It's part of the OS

> Ideal of having Emacs in Application Support is appealing to me,
> because I want to keep things structured OS X style =D.

/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs is meant to contain local
additions, like for example AUCTeX (not the application). The Carbon
Emacsen and other variants can be created as a "light" application
bundle, one that does not contain the whole ELisp trees. I did it by
first making the bootstrap target for an X client Emacs. Then I made
the light application bundle (mac/make-package does this job somehow
by using the proper configure options), just a simple make. This
process creates a PKG file inside a DMG archive. Open and install. It
installs a /usr/local/bin/emacs that does not seem to work, so the X
client is made again (plain, no bootstrap), which easily works
because its configuration was not changed since bootstrapping it.
Then install this one. You'll have the X client /usr/local/bin/emacs
and the Carbon /Applications/Emacs.app.

--
Greetings

   Pete      <\