all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2008-07-13 21:04 tomas
From: tomas @ 2008-07-13 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hi,

for some time now I have been working on a generic markup mode for
Emacs. The work has been sped up by the needs of a customer, which might
be served by this code.

I've asked the customer and they would be fine with publishing wnatever
comes out of it under the GPL -- even better if it is adopted as part of
Emacs.

Please find the current incarnation here:

  git http://tuxteam.de/~tomas/Repositories/am

Some remarks:

Design:

The idea is to support (nested) mark-ups like XML or Wiki, rendering
them in a more-or-less WYSIWYG fashion (as far as Emacs supports that).
The mapping between the markup elements and rendering whithin Emacs is
done via a "style" file (which is at the moment just an elisp file
containing faces and assorted fix-ups for special cases. Several
examples of style files are contained in the above code sample.

The markup model is more or less what we know from XML: spans of text
are attached with a "markup class" and a (possibly empty) list of
attributes. Those spans may be empty (the "singletons" in XML).

Implementation:

To satisfy the constraints:

 - preserve document order (even for empty spans)
 - move around markup classes on copy/kill and yank
 - round trip invariance (i.e. what is written is in some sense
   "equivalent" to what has been read)

I ended up with an interesting mixture of overlays, text properties and
invisible "sentinel characters" (always at the beginning of spans: thus
a span is "never empty" in the implementation (helps keeping document
order).

The current implementation features an XML parser (ugh! I must be crazy
to write _yet_ another half-complete XML parser, right?), and is able to
display this XML according to the "style file", copy/yank "works",
nesting whatever markup is picked up at the copy site within the markup
present in the target site.

It is implemented as a minor mode (I'd hoped once to use it as "literate
programming sub-mode" within a programming major mode, to embellish
embedded documentation).

I'd love to hear criticism, ideas, whatever. Do you think something like
this could be useful?

NOTE: I'll be off the net for the next fourteen days. But I'm looking
forward to your comments.

Thanks
- -- tomás

* Re: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2008-07-29 10:50 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2008-07-29 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

* Re: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2008-07-29 10:57   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2008-07-29 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

tomas@tuxteam.de writes:
> I have received two private answers and none off-list, so I assume this
> to be a little bit off-topic here. I'm taking the discussion private.
> Feel free to contact me personally if interested on the discussion (if
> enough people care, we might start a mailing list on the topic)

It's certainly not off-topic on emacs-devel.  Some people may feel more
comfortable responding privately of course (I often do if my thoughts on
some subject are not well developed and I don't want to embarrass myself
publicly :-).

-Miles

--
"Most attacks seem to take place at night, during a rainstorm, uphill,
 where four map sheets join."   -- Anon. British Officer in WW I

* Re: RFC: A "markup mode"
@ 2008-07-29 12:39   ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2008-07-29 12:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tomas; +Cc: emacs-devel

() tomas@tuxteam.de
() Tue, 29 Jul 2008 12:50:25 +0200

   I have received two private answers and none off-list,
   so I assume this to be a little bit off-topic here.

I would avoid another mailing list.  Maybe try again in a few weeks.
(Probably visible interest will increase once feature freeze goes into
effect.  I get the feeling people want to avoid a long drawn-out freeze
and thus maintain silence in hopes that the maintainers interpret the
tranquility as encouragement to move forward.)

thi