all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-20 15:09 Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-02-20 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs Help List

I edit various files using tramp, i am on a slow connection thus want to
avoid saving remote files while exiting.
the default value for desktop-files-not-to-save is "^/[^/:]*:" when i check
the regex using list buffers it does match tramp files
but they are still saved when i exit emacs. is there another way to make
desktop-mode skip tramp files?

i have the following in my .emacs for loading desktop.

;;destop mode
(load "desktop")
(desktop-load-default)
;(desktop-read)
;; automatically save the desktop on exit.
(setq desktop-enable t)
;;save where we left cursor in file on kill
(require 'saveplace)
(setq-default save-place t)

thanks...
--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com

* Re: desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-20 16:05 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2009-02-20 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: Emacs Help List

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 16:09, Nurullah Akkaya
<nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> wrote:

> I edit various files using tramp, i am on a slow connection thus want to
> avoid saving remote files while exiting.
> the default value for desktop-files-not-to-save is "^/[^/:]*:" when i check
> the regex using list buffers it does match tramp files
> but they are still saved when i exit emacs. is there another way to make
> desktop-mode skip tramp files?

Which version of Emacs are you using?
Are you using a single .emacs.desktop (perhaps in ~/), or
directory-specific ones?
Could you show us the contents of .emacs.desktop? (Assuming it does
not contain sensitive information, of course :-)

> i have the following in my .emacs for loading desktop.
>
> ;;destop mode
> (load "desktop")
> (desktop-load-default)
> ;(desktop-read)
> ;; automatically save the desktop on exit.
> (setq desktop-enable t)

If you're using Emacs 22.1 or newer, you could replace all the above with:

;; desktop mode
(desktop-save-mode 1)

> ;;save where we left cursor in file on kill
> (require 'saveplace)
> (setq-default save-place t)

This is, at least in theory, unrelated.

    Juanma

* Re: desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-20 16:18   ` Nurullah Akkaya
From: Nurullah Akkaya @ 2009-02-20 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Emacs Help List

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 16:09, Nurullah Akkaya
> <nurullah.akkaya@blooby.com> wrote:
>
> > I edit various files using tramp, i am on a slow connection thus want to
> > avoid saving remote files while exiting.
> > the default value for desktop-files-not-to-save is "^/[^/:]*:" when i
> check
> > the regex using list buffers it does match tramp files
> > but they are still saved when i exit emacs. is there another way to make
> > desktop-mode skip tramp files?
>
> Which version of Emacs are you using?
> Are you using a single .emacs.desktop (perhaps in ~/), or
> directory-specific ones?
> Could you show us the contents of .emacs.desktop? (Assuming it does
> not contain sensitive information, of course :-)
>
> > i have the following in my .emacs for loading desktop.
> >
> > ;;destop mode
> > (load "desktop")
> > (desktop-load-default)
> > ;(desktop-read)
> > ;; automatically save the desktop on exit.
> > (setq desktop-enable t)
>
> If you're using Emacs 22.1 or newer, you could replace all the above with:
>
> ;; desktop mode
> (desktop-save-mode 1)
>
> > ;;save where we left cursor in file on kill
> > (require 'saveplace)
> > (setq-default save-place t)
>
> This is, at least in theory, unrelated.
>
>    Juanma

i am using emacs 20.0.60.1 on OS X.
i am using a single .emacs.desktop file under ~/
i have attached the desktop file.

--
Nurullah Akkaya
http://nakkaya.com

[-- Attachment #2: emacs.desktop --]

;; -*- mode: emacs-lisp; coding: emacs-mule; -*-
;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Desktop File for Emacs
;; --------------------------------------------------------------------------
;; Created Fri Feb 20 18:11:52 2009
;; Desktop file format version 206
;; Emacs version 23.0.60.1

;; Global section:
(setq desktop-missing-file-warning nil)
(setq tags-file-name "/Users/nurullahakkaya/Projects/lacrone/trunk/TAGS")
(setq tags-table-list '("/Users/nurullahakkaya/Projects/lacrone/trunk/TAGS"))
(setq search-ring nil)
(setq regexp-search-ring nil)
(setq register-alist nil)

;; Buffer section -- buffers listed in same order as in buffer list:
(desktop-create-buffer 206
  nil
  "www"
  'dired-mode
  nil
  206
  '(nil nil)
  '("/scp:nakkaya@nakkaya.com:/")
  nil)

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/.emacs.desktop"
  ".emacs.desktop"
  'emacs-lisp-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  1
  '(nil nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . emacs-mule-unix)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/Desktop/Book/book/HeadFirstDesignPatterns.pdf"
  "HeadFirstDesignPatterns.pdf"
  'doc-view-mode
  nil
  1
  '(nil nil)
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . no-conversion)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/.emacs"
  ".emacs"
  'emacs-lisp-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  16311
  '(16289 nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . undecided-unix)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/.emacs.d/my-projects.el"
  "my-projects.el"
  'emacs-lisp-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  442
  '(316 nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . undecided-unix)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/Projects/mocha/trunk/mocha.java"
  "mocha.java"
  'java-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  609
  '(623 nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . undecided-unix)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/Projects/aristo/trunk/aristo/aristo.java"
  "aristo.java"
  'java-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  689
  '(8857 nil)
  nil
  nil
  '((buffer-file-coding-system . undecided-unix)))

(desktop-create-buffer 206
  "/Users/nurullahakkaya/Projects/lacrone/trunk/com/lacrone/cluster/Manager.java"
  "Manager.java"
  'java-mode
  '(abbrev-mode flyspell-mode)
  1
  '(644 nil)

@ 2009-02-20 17:02     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-02-20 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nurullah Akkaya; +Cc: Emacs Help List

Am 20.02.2009 um 17:18 schrieb Nurullah Akkaya:

> i am using emacs 20.0.60.1 on OS X.

You could upgrade to Carbon 22.3 or Cocoa 23.0.90 ... on Mac OS X!

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found
ourselves than by those which have occurred to others.
				– Blaise Pascal

* Re: desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-20 17:27 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-02-20 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi, i send the code i use for that here, i sent it also
to the tramp mailing list yesterday i think.

`desktop-files-not-to-save' never work for me
so i use this code:

,----

`----

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-21 10:57   ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2009-02-21 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, tramp-devel

Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, i send the code i use for that here, i sent it also
> to the tramp mailing list yesterday i think.
>
> `desktop-files-not-to-save' never work for me
> so i use this code:

Have you tried to debug `desktop-save-buffer-p'?

Best regards, Michael.

* Re: desktop-files-not-to-save ignored for tramp files
@ 2009-02-21 11:10     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2009-02-21 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Albinus; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, tramp-devel

> Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, i send the code i use for that here, i sent it also
>> to the tramp mailing list yesterday i think.
>>
>> `desktop-files-not-to-save' never work for me
>> so i use this code:
>
> Have you tried to debug `desktop-save-buffer-p'?

No never, i just did this quick hack for my need, i will have a look to
desktop.el as soon as possible.